Net8 configuration assistant hangs on redhat7.2

Net8 configuration assistant hangs on redhat7.2

Post by Tim Beze » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:06:13

I've just installed 8i version 8.1.7 on Redhat7.2  I followed all the
suggestions
found on the web/oracle's site to get to work.  During the install the Net8
config hung, so I stopped it and continued on to complete the install.

I have an instance running, can connect and query fine.  However when I
attempt to start the Net8 config assistant with  'netasst &'  nothing
happens.
If I check the processes, a jre is running away.  When I kill it, I get a
line of code in the x window that executed 'netasst &'  that is the next to
last line of code in netasst file.  What the heck is going on?

Thanks,

Tim

Post by Manuela Muelle » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:13:50

> I've just installed 8i version 8.1.7 on Redhat7.2  I followed all the
> suggestions
> found on the web/oracle's site to get to work.  During the install the Net8
> config hung, so I stopped it and continued on to complete the install.

> I have an instance running, can connect and query fine.  However when I
> attempt to start the Net8 config assistant with  'netasst &'  nothing
> happens.
> If I check the processes, a jre is running away.  When I kill it, I get a
> line of code in the x window that executed 'netasst &'  that is the next to
> last line of code in netasst file.  What the heck is going on?

> Thanks,

> Tim

Hello Tim,
netasst under Linux is known to crash sometimes. Take a look at google,
there are plenty of posts about it.
I found no working solution for this problem in the past.
Depending on your needs, maybe you can run netca for basic configuration
and edit the other needed
ascii files with an editor. Detailed description of the parameters and
their settings are in the net8 admin guide.
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/netw...

Hope  that helps, additions, corrections and further info are always
welcome
Manuela Mueller

Net8 configuration assistant hangs on redhat7.2

Post by Tim Beze » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:52:50

Thank you.  netca works and let me define a listener.

I'm not sure of what my needs are yet!  I'm learning.  I do want
the ability to connect to the database from other machines on the
network to eventually do Oracle Forms, Reports, etc.  I think I need
more than the listener to do that.  But at least I have a start.

Thanks again,

Tim

> > I've just installed 8i version 8.1.7 on Redhat7.2  I followed all the
> > suggestions
> > found on the web/oracle's site to get to work.  During the install the
Net8
> > config hung, so I stopped it and continued on to complete the install.

> > I have an instance running, can connect and query fine.  However when I
> > attempt to start the Net8 config assistant with  'netasst &'  nothing
> > happens.
> > If I check the processes, a jre is running away.  When I kill it, I get
> > line of code in the x window that executed 'netasst &'  that is the next
> > last line of code in netasst file.  What the heck is going on?

> > Thanks,

> > Tim

> Hello Tim,
> netasst under Linux is known to crash sometimes. Take a look at google,
> there are plenty of posts about it.
> I found no working solution for this problem in the past.
> Depending on your needs, maybe you can run netca for basic configuration
> and edit the other needed
> ascii files with an editor. Detailed description of the parameters and
> their settings are in the net8 admin guide.

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/netw...

Quote:

> Hope  that helps, additions, corrections and further info are always
> welcome
> Manuela Mueller

1. Net8 Configuration Assistant

Is it normal to bring up the Net8 configuration assistant GUI, take no
action except to press CANCEL to exit, and receive the following
messages:

$ netca
Net8 Configuration:
Could Not Delete Configuration
File/opt/app/oracle/8i/network/admin/listener.ora
Could Not Delete Configuration
File/opt/app/oracle/8i/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
Could Not Delete Configuration
File/opt/app/oracle/8i/network/admin/ldap.ora
Net8 configuration terminated by user.  The exit code is -1

Actually, the reason that the files listener.ora and tnsnames.ora are
not there is that I had canceled out of netca once before and they were
deleted.  Why would canceling cause files to be deleted?  I am running
Oracle8i Release 8.1.6.0.0 on Solaris 2.7.

Thanks and yes, I am new to Oracle.
Sibyl Hare
Computer Services
University of South Carolina

2. For the ametures. (related to 'Are we losing momentum?')

3. Oracle 8.1.7 Response File and Net8 Configuration Assistant

4. 17678-SC-GREENVILLE-VAX-ORACLE-VAX/ORACLE PROGRAMMER - CTGSC66

5. Unable to start "Net8 Assistant" and "Net8 Configuration Assistant"

6. MS Access forms

7. 9i Database Configuration Assistant hangs on windows 98

8. Saving Graphical Objects as Fields or Bitmap Files

9. Running management configuration assistant hangs on w2k/9i

10. why Database Configuration Assistant hanged at 50%

11. Net8 Easy Config and Net8 Assistant on P IV Computers

12. Problem with Net8 Easy Configure and Net8 Assistant on NT4.0-Oracle8.04

13. JRE crashes Net8 Easy Config and Net8 Assistant on NT4