DW and change control: recommendations?

Post by David Sis » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A fairly large (200-300 Gb) data warehouse is in consideration by my
company.  One area of logistics consideration is the change control
methodology.  Typically, I would recommend a development instance on one
box, and a production instance on a different box (at least).  I'm curious
as to what other organizations with a large or very large data warehouse do
in terms of change control and segregation between DEV and PROD,
particularly prior to implementation.  One thought would be to still run DEV
and PROD on seperate machines, but to use a significantly smaller box for
DEV and only include a subset of data for development purposes.  This can
cause some expected results in PROD though, due to differences in volumes of
data and differences in data distribution (particularly where tuning is
concerned).

If anyone has any stories they'd like to share or suggestions, I'm all ears.
If you would be so kind, please email as well as posting.

Regards,

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site

DW and change control: recommendations?

Post by Pete Sharma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

David

Most of the DW sites I've seen do use a significantly smaller DEV database on a
separate instance.  If by chance you're on 8i, the tuning can be reasonably
similar if you use stored outlines produced from Production once it's there.

HTH.

Pete

> A fairly large (200-300 Gb) data warehouse is in consideration by my
> company.  One area of logistics consideration is the change control
> methodology.  Typically, I would recommend a development instance on one
> box, and a production instance on a different box (at least).  I'm curious
> as to what other organizations with a large or very large data warehouse do
> in terms of change control and segregation between DEV and PROD,
> particularly prior to implementation.  One thought would be to still run DEV
> and PROD on seperate machines, but to use a significantly smaller box for
> DEV and only include a subset of data for development purposes.  This can
> cause some expected results in PROD though, due to differences in volumes of
> data and differences in data distribution (particularly where tuning is
> concerned).

> If anyone has any stories they'd like to share or suggestions, I'm all ears.
> If you would be so kind, please email as well as posting.

> Regards,

> --
> David C. Sisk
> The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site
> http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm

--
Regards

Pete

  psharman.vcf
< 1K Download

DW and change control: recommendations?

Post by Doug Cowle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can you elaborate? I'm new to 8i.   What's an outline?

> David

> Most of the DW sites I've seen do use a significantly smaller DEV database on a
> separate instance.  If by chance you're on 8i, the tuning can be reasonably
> similar if you use stored outlines produced from Production once it's there.

> HTH.

> Pete

> > A fairly large (200-300 Gb) data warehouse is in consideration by my
> > company.  One area of logistics consideration is the change control
> > methodology.  Typically, I would recommend a development instance on one
> > box, and a production instance on a different box (at least).  I'm curious
> > as to what other organizations with a large or very large data warehouse do
> > in terms of change control and segregation between DEV and PROD,
> > particularly prior to implementation.  One thought would be to still run DEV
> > and PROD on seperate machines, but to use a significantly smaller box for
> > DEV and only include a subset of data for development purposes.  This can
> > cause some expected results in PROD though, due to differences in volumes of
> > data and differences in data distribution (particularly where tuning is
> > concerned).

> > If anyone has any stories they'd like to share or suggestions, I'm all ears.
> > If you would be so kind, please email as well as posting.

> > Regards,

> > --
> > David C. Sisk
> > The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site
> > http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm

> --
> Regards

> Pete

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   Project Manager
>   Oracle University, Consulting and Vertical Education
>   Oracle Corporation

>   Pete Sharman
>   Project Manager
>   Oracle University, Consulting and Vertical Education
>   Oracle Corporation
>   500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-B1024
>   Redwood Shores
>   California
>   94065                                                                                                                                                         DX
>   USA
>   **** The statements and opinions expressed here are my **** **** own and do not necessarily represent those of **** **** Oracle Corporation. **** "Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook "Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA
>   Additional Information:
>   Last Name     Sharman
>   First Name    Peter
>   Version       2.1

DW and change control: recommendations?

Post by Pete Sharma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Doug

Straight from the COncepts manual:

After carefully tuning an application, you might want to ensure that the optimizer generates the same execution plan whenever the same SQL statements are executed. Plan stability allows you to maintain the same execution plans for the same SQL statements, regardless of
changes to the database such as re-analyzing tables, adding or deleting data, modifying a table's columns, constraints, or indexes, changing the system configuration, or even upgrading to a new version of the optimizer.

The CREATE OUTLINE statement creates a stored outline, which contains a set of attributes that the optimizer uses to create an execution plan. Stored outlines can also be created automatically by setting the system parameter CREATE_STORED_OUTLINES to TRUE.

The system parameter USE_STORED_OUTLINES can be set to TRUE, FALSE, or a category name to indicate whether to make use of existing stored outlines for queries that are being executed. The OUTLN_PKG package provides procedures used for managing stored outlines.

Implementing plan stability creates a new schema called OUTLN, which is created with DBA privileges. The database administrator should change the password for the OUTLN schema just as for the SYS and SYSTEM schemas.

HTH.

Pete

--
Regards

Pete

  psharman.vcf
< 1K Download

DW and change control: recommendations?

Post by Doug Cowle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks.

> [...]

>   Oracle University, Consulting and Vertical Education
>   Oracle Corporation
>   500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-B1024
>   Redwood Shores
>   California
>   94065                                                                                                                                                         ?
>   USA
>   **** The statements and opinions expressed here are my **** **** own and do not necessarily represent those of **** **** Oracle Corporation. **** "Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook "Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA

1. DW Training - Need Recommendations

I am looking for any recommendations someone might have as to the most
effective training for Data Warehouse modeling, ETL, and
implementation.

I have researched training offerings from Ralph Kimball Associates,
and The Data Warehousing Institute (TWDI) to name a few.  Ralph
Kimball's training obviously focuses alot on the Dimensional approach
whereas TDWI's training seems to cover it only briefly.

Any information you could provide (good and bad) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick Chiodo

2. OSCUPrganizing menu of applications

3. Precompiling embedded SQL

4. Prob: Slow Changing Dimensions in SQL Server DW Solution

5. Inserting text including &

6. How To AUTO update CUBE data after DW Data is changed

7. NT versus AIX

8. DW Special Interest Group Mtg: DW Roles and Responsibilities

9. Version control, config management, change control w/PROGRESS?

10. Change event not reflecting the change in text of the DBCombo control

11. Q: Looking for recommendation of a datagrid control

12. Tab Control OCX Recommendations please