Oracle vs MySQL vs PostgreSQL

Post by Daniel A. Morga » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:36:04

I'll up front-admit I didn't read even 10% of your very large posting. I am
responding strictly to the subject.

RDBMS software is a tool. You choose the tools that is best for the job. You
don't try to haul trees out of the forest on a motorcycle and you don't bring a
logging truck to a motorcycle race.

I see no value in the comparison referred to in your subject. The fact that they
are all RDBMS products is as relevant to the issue as the fact that logging
trucks and motorcycles all have tires.

Daniel Morgan

> Dear all,

>     I found this series of discussion in a forum and I think it's very
> interesting to follow, so I report it here. What I found interesting is that
> some developers use the implicit features of RDBMS without knowing it, just
> as system programmers using virtual memory without knowing it (remember the
> days we cannot load application larger than the physical memory we have!)
> The next thing I found interesting is the better the infrastructure stuff
> are built (network, RDBMS, OS), the less people is aware of their merit.

1. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

One idea is encouraging people to make local mailing lists all over
the world. That will be easier to read/write mails for non-English
speakers and will decrease the traffic in the main mailing
list. Actually I have been running a mailing list in Japan for years
and now it has +4000 subscribers. I believe this kind of thing has
been already done in the world (maybe Japan, Russia ...?), but I think
we should encourage them more, like having pointers to such lists on
the pgsql web site.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

2. use of text datatype

3. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

4. Calculated fields

5. Creating a recordset by hand in VC++

6. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

7. Filemaker Pro formatting problem

8. Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

9. MySQL vs Oracle vs MSSQL Vs others

10. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should I use?

11. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh ould I use?