Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

Post by Oliver Daute » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 20:22:28

Hi,

is it possible to migrate an existing and running Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1)
Enterprise Edition Database to Oracle 8i Standart Edition? No, imho we dont
use any enterprise-only feature (thats why we like to downgrade). If it is
possible, how can we do this and what are the difficulties in doing it?
Maybe someone have a weblink for me?

TIA,
O.Dauter

Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

Post by Sebastian Reh » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:45:37

So as long as you are not use the advanced features, you should be able to
just de-install the 817 EE, install 817 SE and restart the database.

Of course you should first make a backup of the database and config files
before you do anything.

Sebastian

Quote:> Hi,

> is it possible to migrate an existing and running Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1)
> Enterprise Edition Database to Oracle 8i Standart Edition? No, imho we
dont
> use any enterprise-only feature (thats why we like to downgrade). If it is
> possible, how can we do this and what are the difficulties in doing it?
> Maybe someone have a weblink for me?

> TIA,
> O.Dauter

Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

Post by Andre » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:23:04

Hi Oliver,

take a backup, remove enterprise edition, install standard edition,
open the database.

Enterprise and Standard Edition are basically the same.
Sometimes, if you install a patch, the banner will be
changed back to enterprise edition.

Best regards,
Andreas

> Hi,

> is it possible to migrate an existing and running Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1)
> Enterprise Edition Database to Oracle 8i Standart Edition? No, imho we dont
> use any enterprise-only feature (thats why we like to downgrade). If it is
> possible, how can we do this and what are the difficulties in doing it?
> Maybe someone have a weblink for me?

> TIA,
> O.Dauter

Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

Post by Bj?rn Myklebus » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 06:46:33

Before you do this - have you any partitioned tables/indexes etc.?
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the Standard Edition has
partitioning - only
the Enterprise Edition has this.

-B

> Hi Oliver,

> take a backup, remove enterprise edition, install standard edition,
> open the database.

> Enterprise and Standard Edition are basically the same.
> Sometimes, if you install a patch, the banner will be
> changed back to enterprise edition.

> Best regards,
> Andreas

Quote:> > Hi,

> > is it possible to migrate an existing and running Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1)
> > Enterprise Edition Database to Oracle 8i Standart Edition? No, imho we
dont
> > use any enterprise-only feature (thats why we like to downgrade). If it
is
> > possible, how can we do this and what are the difficulties in doing it?
> > Maybe someone have a weblink for me?

> > TIA,
> > O.Dauter

Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

Post by NorwoodThr » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 04:59:49

This is how I would personally do it...I'm a prude.

1.  Make sure your database does not use any Enterprise Edition
features (table partitioning, etc.).

2.  Create a new empty database under the Standard Edition
ORACLE_HOME.

3.  Export the EE database.  Import your schemas into the SE database.

Post by Bricklen Anders » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 07:58:16

> Before you do this - have you any partitioned tables/indexes etc.?
> I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the Standard Edition has
> partitioning - only
> the Enterprise Edition has this.

yes, as stated above, I think only enterprise edition (and possibly
personal ed.) will run partitioning, bitmap indexes, or materialized
views.

You may want to check that out in more detail before you commit
yourself to this course of action.