Upgrading from 8.1.5 32 bits to 8.1.6 64 bits

Upgrading from 8.1.5 32 bits to 8.1.6 64 bits

Post by Philippe Gauthie » Sat, 19 May 2001 22:20:39

Hello

Is anyone have hints how to upgrading a database from Oracle 8i 8.1.5.
32 bits to 8.1.6. 64 bits. Can I simply install the 8.1.6 program in my
actual 8.1.5 ORACLE_HOME without uninstalling 8.1.5.? If I have to
uninstall 8.1.5 and install 8.1.6 in a new ORACLE_HOME, do I need to run
the migration assistant to upgrade the datafiles of my 8.1.5 database?
This is on a Sun Enterpris 450 running Solaris 2.6.

Thanks

Upgrading from 8.1.5 32 bits to 8.1.6 64 bits

Post by Haitham Nour » Sun, 20 May 2001 00:07:51

Philippe,

Note: The following info is just for guidance, treat it as such. You MUST
read the oracle installation manulas and documentation and carefuly check
your application environment before hand. I am writing this from memory so
it might not be very accurate but will give you a clear idea about what
needs to be done.

First of all, you mentioned you're running Solaris 2.6 which does not
support 64bit applications hence does not support 64 bit Oracle. Oracle 64
bit requires Solaris7 or Solaris8 (Check certification Matrix). The 64 bit
kernel has to be running. You can verify this by typting at the command
prompt
isainfo -v
you should get the following two lines:
64-bit sparcv9 applications
32-bit sparc applications
If you didn't get the first "64-bit sparcv9 applications" line then you're
not running the 64-bit kernel.

The recommended steps in general are:

(Of course test this on a test system before actually upgradin production).

1. Shutdown your current database.
2. Do a complete backup of your database.
3. Istall Oracle 8.1.6 binaries in a new oracle home and not on to of the
old one. e.g if your old oracle home is "/u01/app/oracle/8.1.5" then install
oracle 8.1.6 in "/u01/app/oracle/8.1.6".
This way you can revert back if you decide to downgrade for any reason.
4. Make the required changes in "/var/opt/oracle", oracle owner's
".profile", any startup scripts in /etc/init.d, any backup/monitoring
scripts and application batch config files  you have around the system.
5. Re-login into oracle and startup the database using the new 8.1.6
binaries in restricted mode.
The oracle data file format is the same on 32 and 64 bit oracle, so no
conversion is needed between the two formats, so the rest of the steps are
go to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin and using svrmgrl execute the following:
catalog.sql
catproc.sql
utlrp.sql
catrep.sql  if using replication
The format of the files is the same between 32 and 64 bit versions. The only
thing needed is a recompilation of PL/SQL wich utlrp.sql should do when
moving from 32 to 64 bit or moving to 32 bit from 64 bit..

shutdown and restart your database and you should be up and running.

One question though, why do you need 64 bit oracle. 64 bit oracle is slower
than 32 bit and lags behind in patches (8.1.6.3 patch for 32 bit and 8.1.6.1
for 64 bit, 8.1.7 is not yet available in 64 bit on Solaris).
The only valid reason for using 64 bit would be if you need a massive SGA
that is more than 4 GB in size for a massive warehouse cache or thousands of
connected users. Otherwise stick with 32 bit oracle as there is no
difference in functionality, and the 32 bit is faster and better supported.

Regards,

Haitham Nouri

Quote:> Hello

> Is anyone have hints how to upgrading a database from Oracle 8i 8.1.5.
> 32 bits to 8.1.6. 64 bits. Can I simply install the 8.1.6 program in my
> actual 8.1.5 ORACLE_HOME without uninstalling 8.1.5.? If I have to
> uninstall 8.1.5 and install 8.1.6 in a new ORACLE_HOME, do I need to run
> the migration assistant to upgrade the datafiles of my 8.1.5 database?
> This is on a Sun Enterpris 450 running Solaris 2.6.

> Thanks

1. Migrating from 32-bits to 64-bits

Hi:

   We have an ASE 11.5.1 installed in a HP-UX D series (32 bits)
server, with operating system version 10.20. I need to know if it can
run correctly in a HP-UX N series (64 bits) with operating system
version 11.0. If not ?may anybody tell me what ASE version I must use
for the new server? Thanks a lot in advance for any contribution.

--
Jose Enrique Gonzalez
Caracas. Venezuela

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Running DTS from another DTS

3. how to find whether informix 32 bits or 64 bits

4. Establishing multiple Clients

5. Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

6. AS400

7. Informix 32 bits or 64 bits??

8. VBDOS 1.0 and VB5.0 database non-compatibility problem

9. converting 32 to 64 bits oracle hpux 11

10. DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

11. C++ builder / intrabuilder / ODBC 32 bits / ODBC 16 bits

12. 16 bits and 32 bits application