Oraperl Question

Post by kevin kreeg » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I hope this is the right forum for this..

I have a  class assignment to create a WWW interface
to an oracle database.  I am using oraperl to access
it and it seems so slow.  Tests I have done
show that it takes about 2-3 minutes to run the "ora_login"
And then only a few second to run the SQL with
ora_open and get the date with ora_fetch.
SO, everytime I change to a new web page (and therfore
a new perl script) I have to call ora_login again and
wait 2-3 more minutes.

Is there anyway around this? I tried passing the "$lda"
along to the new script and using it there in the ora_open,
but Oraperl complained.

THanks in advance

Kevin

Oraperl Question

Post by John D Groenve » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>it and it seems so slow.  Tests I have done
>show that it takes about 2-3 minutes to run the "ora_login"

What version of DBI/DBD-Oracle and Oracle Server are you running? 2-3 minutes
smell more like an Oracle problem. Does Sqlplus exhibit this problem?

Now, if you take a look at the archive of the dbi-users maillist, you should
find some sample code for creating a Web-Oracle daemon which holds open a
connection to the database and accepts SQL statements from your CGI. Also
you can look at the mod_perl module for embedding the Perl executable into
you httpd.
John

Oraperl Question

Post by Sandy Koczk » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I hope this is the right forum for this..

> I have a  class assignment to create a WWW interface
> to an oracle database.  I am using oraperl to access
> it and it seems so slow.  Tests I have done
> show that it takes about 2-3 minutes to run the "ora_login"
> And then only a few second to run the SQL with
> ora_open and get the date with ora_fetch.
> SO, everytime I change to a new web page (and therfore
> a new perl script) I have to call ora_login again and
> wait 2-3 more minutes.

> Is there anyway around this? I tried passing the "$lda"
> along to the new script and using it there in the ora_open,
> but Oraperl complained.

> THanks in advance

> Kevin

Hi Kevin:

I have recently been writing oraperl scripts to hook into
a program called CVS, a configuration management tool.
During one invocation of CVS, the hooked-in script gets called
many times, logging on and off the Oracle database each time.
It does 10 or so database accesses each time.

During a recent test, the script got called about 30 times and
did all 30 logon-accesses-logoff sequences in 60 seconds.
None of this stuff has been optimized for speed.

What platform are you running on? I'm using HP 9000/700, HP-UX 10,
Oracle 7.3, Perl 4.6 and I-forget-what-version of Oraperl.

Are you running both client and server locally (using the ORACLE_SID
environment variable) or accessing the server remotely (using TWO_TASK)?
I'm using TWO_TASK, but both client and server are running on the same
box for now (development and testing).

Are command-line Oracle programs like SQL*PLUS slow, too?
Maybe your client or server boxes are overloaded. Or your network?
My box is lightly loaded.

I don't know how much help this is, but you certainly should be able
to get better connect times than 3 minutes per!

Good luck with your project.

Sandy Koczko

Oraperl Question

Post by Steve_Kilba » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I hope this is the right forum for this..

It's ok. You might like to try the DBI mailing list, mentioned
in the DBI and DBD docs.

I'm assuming, BTW, that you're using the Oraperl emulation
on top of DBI and DBD::Oracle for Perl 5. If not, you should be.

Quote:> Tests I have done
> show that it takes about 2-3 minutes to run the "ora_login"

More recent releases of DBD::Oracle include hints in the
documentation (probably the README) for this problem.
Try the suggestions there. If your DBD docs don't mention
anything like this, try upgrading.

steve
--

ISPs are responsible for maintaining the Information Superhighway. They
are not responsible for how you drive.      #include <std_disclaimer.h>

1. DBD (DBI) and Oraperl question

Hi,

    I am trying to figure out what I need and don't need for using DBD
(DBI). In my environment the webserver and the Oracle database are on the same
machine. So I am wondering if I still need SQL*Net. Also, do I need Pro*C and
if so will a Pro*C executable I get from someone else work?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. PowerBuilder in general

3. Setting the env. / oraperl question