Connecting to Oracle Database viaTCP/IP

Post by Rudy Nas » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:34:22

I am new at Oracle so bear with me...please.

I have a new client that I am developing an application in Visual Basic for
that has an existing Oracle Database (Don't know which version yet) that I
need to connect to.  Client is about 40miles away from me so I wanted to
connect to the database temporarily over TCP/IP during the development
stages..  I intend to use ODBC drivers to allow connection to
database...BUT...and here's my problem and question:

    I cannot even FTP to the clients host machine with the login ID and
Password provided by the client.. Client states I need Oracle installed on
my machine to login...is this true?  Is there a shareware or free developers
product from Oracle that I can use to access clients data remotely?

Any help for this new guy would be greatly appreciated.

Rudy

Connecting to Oracle Database viaTCP/IP

Post by Jim Kenned » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:51:03

You need the Oracle client installed on your machine.
You need to know the user name and password of the Oracle user you are going
to log as.
You need to know the host name or IP address where Oracle is residing.
You do NOT need to be able to FTP to your client's machine.
Your customer needs to make sure that port 1521 (usually) is open so you can
connect.  If you are connecting over the Internet then it is unlikely that
this port is available to you.
You can download the Oracle binaries from Oracle.  Go to www.oracle.com and
downloads.

Jim

Quote:> I am new at Oracle so bear with me...please.

> I have a new client that I am developing an application in Visual Basic
for
> that has an existing Oracle Database (Don't know which version yet) that I
> need to connect to.  Client is about 40miles away from me so I wanted to
> connect to the database temporarily over TCP/IP during the development
> stages..  I intend to use ODBC drivers to allow connection to
> database...BUT...and here's my problem and question:

>     I cannot even FTP to the clients host machine with the login ID and
> Password provided by the client.. Client states I need Oracle installed on
> my machine to login...is this true?  Is there a shareware or free
developers
> product from Oracle that I can use to access clients data remotely?

> Any help for this new guy would be greatly appreciated.

> Rudy

1. connecting via IP addr versus connecting via DNS name

The setup:

1 SQL 2000 Server (sp2) in an AD domain
my workstation behind a firewall in a different AD domain
I authenticate on the SQL server using SQL logins.

for the purpose of diagnosing the problem, the firewall is effectively
letting everything through.  (I've verified that at least tcp 1433 and
445 are not blocked).

The scenario:

Using Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer on my workstation, I cannot
connect via the DNS name (server1.office.com\sql1) to the SQL server
-- it gives the ubiquitous error message

" Server does not exist or access denied"

But, if I connect using the IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sql1), the
connection succeeds right away.  Alternatively, if I specify the port
number (server1.office.com\sql1,1433), the connection works just the
same.

If I try to connect (using EM or Query Analyzer) from another machine
in the same domain as the SQL server, then the connection works as
expected; no need for creating aliases in Client Network Utility, and
no need to specify port.

How can I make it work so that I don't to use IP address or create
aliases or specify port number?  I'd like to free the developers
inside the firewall from having to use hard-coded IP address and port,
or maintaining a list of aliases.

Thanks,

Wei

2. security question

3. Enterprise manager won't connect to an alias, but will connect to an IP address

4. How to access TEMP tables using SE 5.0x and I-NET

5. Connecting to remote SQL Database by TCP/IP

6. Can not add records to table

7. Connecting to sql server database via TCP/IP and not Named Pipes

8. PA-South central-91849--ORACLE-Installation/Configuration-Performance Tuning-Dat

9. Connect V6.1 database via TCP/IP to Alpha/OpenVMS

10. Connect V6.1 database via TCP/IP and Pathworks

11. How do we connect to an oracle server via tcp/ip network

12. question on connecting to oracle via tcp/ip, from vb5.0

13. Connect to Oracle Server from specific Client machin(whose ip is mention in server)