Interesting way to crash Oracle

Post by Tom Cook » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

Try creating a table with a numeric field, and a sequence, and then
creating a database trigger which attempts to assign a unique number
from the sequence to the numeric field on _delete_ of a row. Yes, I know
it makes no sense whatsoever, but if you check the wrong boxes in
Designer/2000 when defining your logic, you really can get SQL from the
generator that creates a trigger that tries to do this. On 7.3.3 on SCO
OpenServer, you get a pretty core dump when you actually try and delete
rows from the table.

Enjoy!
--
Tom Cooke

1. Wanted: big databases that are corrupted in interesting ways

We are seeking people, world-wide, who have Paradox/BDE databases that
are large, and/or heavily indexed, that are corrupt.  We'd like
specimens from Paradox 3.5 to present.

If "Tutility takes much too long," or better yet it does not work, then
we want to hear from you.  We think we have methodologies that are not
only better, but a whole-lot better than this.

We do -not- want copies of these databases, and we do -not- want you to
send us anything.  We want you to participate in test programs whereby
you would run testbed-programs that we would provide, and send us the
results.  All of the testbed-programs that we would run use ONLY
EXCLUSIVE, READ-ONLY ACCESS to the files in question, do not compromise
security in any way, and provide information that you can see for
yourself is purely technical in nature.  Both 16- and 32-bit sites are
invited to respond.  (Sorry, Windows only.)

describe your situation, by June 26th.

-Mike Robinson

2. jDance.com - Dec 9 Java News

3. Reading BTrieve-files??!!

4. Interesting way to crash SQL server when trying to get the SQL server's domain

5. PHP/Apache/Informix questions...

6. ==> 15 Ways to Improve Oracle Performance <==

7. Some Null Fields work fine, some not ?

8. Different Ways of Connecting to Oracle

9. Different Ways of local Connecting to oracle

10. --> 15 Ways to Improve Oracle Performance <--

11. Unable to start Oracle 7.3.3 DB avec crash..Oracle 8.x is OK.

12. Interesting Oracle/JDBC Problem