Q on concepts of instances and mutliple databases on the same server

Q on concepts of instances and mutliple databases on the same server

Post by Simon Golan » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Something I am confused about. I have a running database and all is
well. However, I need to demonstrate the various recovery procedures to
our customer, and for that I will create another, dummy database to play
with. It will reside on the same machine.

So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
the dummy?

[   Without action there is no change   ]

Post by Komix Hu » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Something I am confused about. I have a running database and all is
> well. However, I need to demonstrate the various recovery procedures to
> our customer, and for that I will create another, dummy database to play
> with. It will reside on the same machine.

> So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
> have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
> time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
> shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
> the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
> the dummy?

You can create another database on the same machine (unix experience).
Before you create the second database on a unix system, you may set some
OS Parameters to  higher values, such as:

  shared memory, semaphore;

besides, you may want to increase the swap size and add more RAM for a
reasonable
performance.
--

Assistant MIS Manager                Tel   : (00852)2589 3369
Cho Yang (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd.       Fax   : (00852)2559 3049

Q on concepts of instances and mutliple databases on the same server

Post by Chris Tirp » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Simon -

You can have multiple instances running on the same server at the same
time as long as your server has the resources to handle it (memory,
disk, cpu, etc)

Just make sure you have your environment variables set up correctly so
you do not accidentaly*up the wrong instance while practicing
your recovery scenarios.

Enjoy,

Chris Tirpak

>Something I am confused about. I have a running database and all is
>well. However, I need to demonstrate the various recovery procedures to
>our customer, and for that I will create another, dummy database to play
>with. It will reside on the same machine.

>So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
>have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
>time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
>shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
>the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
>the dummy?

>Thanks,
>--

>[   Without action there is no change   ]

Q on concepts of instances and mutliple databases on the same server

Post by Tim Vannama » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
> have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
> time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
> shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
> the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
> the dummy?

Yes, you may run multiple DB's on the same machine.  Just make sure you
change your
ORACLE_SID environment variable before creating the new one.

Is the "real" database currently in production or is it still in
development?   How big
is your "dummy" database going to be?

If your dummy database is small and doesn't use many mips, you shouldn't
have to worry about
upgrading your machine.  I stress the word SHOULDN'T as I don't know all
the details.

Tim.

Post by Orac » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
> have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
> time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
> shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
> the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
> the dummy?

  You can create as many as instances you want unless your machine and operating system
can afford it.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

1. Newbie Qs on instances and tablespaces

I'm completely new to Oracle, but since last Friday I also have to care for
an Oracle WG server 7.3 on NT4. I do have some experience with MS SQL and
SQL in general.
After looking thru the documentation, here are my questions:

1. Is it good practice to create one instance per application?
2. Do I really need to specify all that storage arguments when creating
tablespaces and rollback segments? This is for small databases (about
50-100MByte), mostly batch processing and report creation.
3. Are there some rules of thumb for sizing the tablespaces for an instance?
4. And for rollback segments? Should all rollback segments be within one
tablespace? What should be the size relation between the rollback tablespace
and the contained rollback segments
5. What tablespaces should I create? According to the doc: system
(automatically created), rollback, sort (=temp) and data. OK?
How do I assign the tasks to the tablespaces, e.g. so that user tables are
automatically created in data, temp data in temp?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Steffen

Dipl.-Inf, MCSE
But wherever we go we will always know
that the land we stand on is never our own

2. Advanced Pick File-of-Files

3. Enabling TCP/IP server protocol BUG in SQL2K and SQL Server 6.5 native driver Qs

4. pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/lib tables.tcl

5. data warehousing concept is it a successful concept?

6. Exporting Data to Read as an Excel File

7. FM5U IBM - security issue with mutliple databases

8. Comparasion of mutliple databases

9. Mutliple users accessing single database simultaneously ?

10. Can database span mutliple logical drives?

11. Multiple instances of a database on one database server

12. nu-B Qs, linux databases, Mac clients