Installing 8i and designer

Post by --------------/\\ |-|-------------- » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 06:14:04

Hello...

We are absolutely newbies, and we have to learn to work with Oracle for our
school in a couple of weeks. To win time we like to install Oracle 8i and
designer on a standalone PC.

Our questions:

Is this possible?
And what do we have to take in mind before we start the installation
procedure, and after finishing the installation?

Can someone please help us.....

Thanks in advance...

J.W. Hekkert & N. Veldt

Installing 8i and designer

Post by Daniel A. Morga » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:58:42

My answers below.

Daniel Morgan

> Hello...

> We are absolutely newbies, and we have to learn to work with Oracle for our
> school in a couple of weeks. To win time we like to install Oracle 8i and
> designer on a standalone PC.

> Our questions:

> Is this possible?

Yes.

Quote:> And what do we have to take in mind before we start the installation
> procedure

That it is non-trivial. That you absolutely MUST read the documentation and
follow it. That this is not a case of installing some game like MS Word or
Excel. This requires hard work, lots of hours invested in reading, and probably
some debugging depending on your environment.

Quote:> , and after finishing the installation?

A shot of a good single scotch straight up is appropriate if you fail. A bottle
of decent champagne if you succeed.

I'd strongly urge you to find someone who knows how to do it to act as advisor.
In your case, with a .nl location on the web ... I'd contact Sybrand Bakker and
beg his indulgence. In fact ... I'd bribe him if necessary. You will find his
posting at comp.databases.oracle.server.

Quote:

> Can someone please help us.....

> Thanks in advance...

> J.W. Hekkert & N. Veldt

Installing 8i and designer

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:06:45

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:14:04 +0100, "--------------/\\

>Hello...

>We are absolutely newbies, and we have to learn to work with Oracle for our
>school in a couple of weeks. To win time we like to install Oracle 8i and
>designer on a standalone PC.

>Our questions:

>Is this possible?
>And what do we have to take in mind before we start the installation
>procedure, and after finishing the installation?

>Can someone please help us.....

>Thanks in advance...

>J.W. Hekkert & N. Veldt

As usual no versions, and the answer is version dependent.

before the installation:
read the installation manual
after the installation:
read the 'Getting started manual'

Install Designer *first* in the *default* Oracle home
Install Oracle 8i in a *different* Oracle_home

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Installing 8i and designer

Post by Daniel A. Morga » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:36:27

You should have read my reply first. I told them to contact you and offer a
bribe. <g>

You can't be more than a few kilometers from each other.

Daniel Morgan

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:14:04 +0100, "--------------/\\

> >Hello...

> >We are absolutely newbies, and we have to learn to work with Oracle for our
> >school in a couple of weeks. To win time we like to install Oracle 8i and
> >designer on a standalone PC.

> >Our questions:

> >Is this possible?
> >And what do we have to take in mind before we start the installation
> >procedure, and after finishing the installation?

> >Can someone please help us.....

> >Thanks in advance...

> >J.W. Hekkert & N. Veldt

> As usual no versions, and the answer is version dependent.

> before the installation:
> read the installation manual
> after the installation:
> read the 'Getting started manual'

> Install Designer *first* in the *default* Oracle home
> Install Oracle 8i in a *different* Oracle_home

> Regards

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Installing 8i and designer

Post by AK » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:28:15

Hello Guys

Depends on your OS (Linux or WinNT/XXXX) and what kind of Oracle you want to
install (Standard or Personnal)
But better go this site , it has all the docs that you need :
http://tahiti.oracle.com/
Small tips : don't try to install Oracle (Enterprise Edition) on Win9X , it
won't work .

Regards ,

Andy

Quote:> Hello...

> We are absolutely newbies, and we have to learn to work with Oracle for
our
> school in a couple of weeks. To win time we like to install Oracle 8i and
> designer on a standalone PC.

> Our questions:

> Is this possible?
> And what do we have to take in mind before we start the installation
> procedure, and after finishing the installation?

> Can someone please help us.....

> Thanks in advance...

> J.W. Hekkert & N. Veldt

1. problem installing 8i with Designer 6.0

I'm trying to install the preconfigured repository for Oracle Designer
6.0 on a machine running Oracle8i. The Designer installation doesn't
recognise the installed 8i instance and quits the installation process
telling me to first install an Oracle Server.

What's the problem here? I suppose it should be possible to use Designer
6.0 together with Oracle 8i?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Alexander Jerusalem

To mail me remove the X before chello

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. MSChart

3. INSTALLING 8i ENTERPRISE & DESIGNER 6.0 - HELP

4. Open Source VB Game Engine

5. Installing Oracle 8i & Designer 6.0

6. web security

7. Installing 8i Enterprise edition over 8i Standard edition

8. Notice for Ingres World '96 presenters

9. US-NY: Albany-Oracle 8i w/Designer and Citrix Exp – Feb Start

10. Importing designer repos to 8i

11. 8i - Designer - Developer Installation

12. Headstart, Designer & 8i