Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

Post by MAbbou.. » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:15:33

What's the difference between Oracle 8i Standard edition and Oracle 8i
Enterprise edition.

I could not find this data on OTN.

Thanks
Mo

--
Posted from nat05.IITRI.ORG [205.167.170.5]

Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

Post by John Alexande » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:27:43

Technet has a matrix detailing the differences between Standard and
Enterprise.

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/....
817/a76962/ch4.htm#52939

John Alexander
www.SummitSoftwareDesign.com
St. Petersburg, FL

Quote:> What's the difference between Oracle 8i Standard edition and Oracle 8i
> Enterprise edition.

> I could not find this data on OTN.

> Thanks
> Mo

> --
> Posted from nat05.IITRI.ORG [205.167.170.5]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

Post by Hans Forbric » Tue, 01 May 2001 12:00:10

At least two sides to this story ...

1) Technical reasons - see
http://technet.oracle.com/products/oracle8i/pdf/8i_fam.pdf
2) Legal/licensing reasons - see
http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/availability/index.html

/Hans

> What's the difference between Oracle 8i Standard edition and Oracle 8i
> Enterprise edition.

> I could not find this data on OTN.

> Thanks
> Mo

> --
> Posted from nat05.IITRI.ORG [205.167.170.5]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

1. Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a back-end database server platform for a
new application service.
My platform is Red Hat Linux/Apache and all the application will be written
in 90% Perl (mod_perl based) and 10% ANSI C. The application will maintain
persistent connection to the back-end database and also includes batch
processing for purchase history analysis.

After looking at the pricing and other information at Oracle web site, I
came to the following conclusion:

Solution #1: Using multiple (2+) standard edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 2 or more Oracle 8i standard edition
servers to maintain a high degree of performance.

Solution #2: Using (1-2) enterprise edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 1-2 Oracle 8i enterprise edition servers
to maintain a high degree of performance.

Obviously, the 2nd solution is VERY EXPENSIVE.

What I would like to find out is the following:

Am I better of with solution #1 where the Oracle pricing allows me to add
more standard edition database servers as my need grows with more and more
clients. Any thoughts/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am interested in hearing about Oracle experts who are using it in
Linux platform for large scale OLTP.

A reply post or direct e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kabir
http://www.nitec.com

2. creating/modifying views?

3. Installing 8i Enterprise edition over 8i Standard edition

4. ODBC from NT local login, should it work?

5. different between oracle 8i standard vs enterprise edition

6. listing out a procedure

7. Oracle 8i Standard and Enterprise Edition

8. radio button problem

9. peformance metrics for 8i standard vs enterprise editions

10. Upgrade from 8i Standard Edition to Enterprise Causes problems

11. Downgrade 8i Enterprise to Standard Edition?

12. Oracle 8i Standard Edition

13. Oracle 8i Standard Edition and multi-processor