Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Sofie Kempenee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed.
The same problem still stands:

Working with :
Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

When I type
$ ./runInstaller
I get a fault like this

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait
Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
: Permission denied

>Hi Sofie,

>you have to get the J)ava R)untime E)nvironment as written in the Release
>Notes.

>Harro

I did not install Oracle on Linux yet (some download probs) but I guess
you have to do the installation under some special user (most likely root,
maybe you have to create an Oracle user an use that).
There must be some readme file which describes what steps to do before
call the installer script.

Quote:>Sofie Kempeneer

I ran the runInstaller from a user called Oracle in the group DBA

Hope that helps,
Lothar

P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
      Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
      instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
      few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

--

D-65346 Eltville        |

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Kevin O'Gorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Two things: I have been unable to make Oracle run on Caldera 2.2 or 2.3, in
spite
of their insisting that it does.  However, the Caldera instructions do work
for
installing on a fresh RedHat 6.0 that I have dual-booted on the same machine.

One gotcha: neither one would work with jre 116v5; I had to go to 117v3 even
though the docs indicate otherwise.  That got it running; now I'm into a
whole
slew of other problems, but at least I have a database.

--

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Kevin O'Gorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Two things: I have been unable to make Oracle run on Caldera 2.2 or 2.3, in
> >spite
> >of their insisting that it does.  However, the Caldera instructions do work
> >for
> >installing on a fresh RedHat 6.0 that I have dual-booted on the same machine.

> >One gotcha: neither one would work with jre 116v5; I had to go to 117v3 even
> >though the docs indicate otherwise.  That got it running; now I'm into a
> >whole
> >slew of other problems, but at least I have a database.

> Kevin,

> What was the problem with jre 116v5?  I keep getting "Warning: Cannot
> allocate colormap entry for default background." when I start
> runInstaller.

> I'll grab jre 117v3 and give it a try.

> Ciao
> Fuzzy
> :-)

Well, I seem to remember that I didn't even get that far.  I would get the
message that
Java was being initialized, and the process would stop.  Investigation with
strace(1)
revealed a seg fault.  Since you're getting different behaviour, you may get
different
results.  Good luck.

--

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Kevin O'Gorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
>       Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
>       instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
>       few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

> --

> D-65346 Eltville        |

You can train Netscape to not do that.  In 4.61, it's
Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Applications
and you have to teach it about .tar and .tgz at least.  You may have
problems with files with more than one "." but most of the big ones
don't.

Generally I have to "add" the type, pointing to an application, then
"edit" it to override the application with the instruction to save such
files.

--

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Quote:>Two things: I have been unable to make Oracle run on Caldera 2.2 or 2.3, in

Post by Alexander Walz VS/EFA » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
> >       Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
> >       instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
> >       few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

> > --

> > D-65346 Eltville        |

> You can train Netscape to not do that.  In 4.61, it's
> Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Applications
> and you have to teach it about .tar and .tgz at least.  You may have
> problems with files with more than one "." but most of the big ones
> don't.

you can get the same result by just pressing shift when clicking on a
link ...

--
Alexander Walz
Alcatel Stuttgart

  A.Walz.vcf
< 1K Download

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by DanH » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
> > >       Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
> > >       instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
> > >       few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

> > You can train Netscape to not do that.  In 4.61, it's
> > Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Applications
> > and you have to teach it about .tar and .tgz at least.  You may have
> > problems with files with more than one "." but most of the big ones
> > don't.
> you can get the same result by just pressing shift when clicking on a
> link ...

Or right clicking and 'save as...'

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Sofie Kempenee » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Solution found !!!
        The variable JRE_location in
oracle8i/install/oraparam.ini
        wasen't correct.

>> >Two things: I have been unable to make Oracle run on Caldera 2.2 or 2.3,
in
>> >spite
>> >of their insisting that it does.  However, the Caldera instructions do
work
>> >for
>> >installing on a fresh RedHat 6.0 that I have dual-booted on the same
machine.

>> >One gotcha: neither one would work with jre 116v5; I had to go to 117v3
even
>> >though the docs indicate otherwise.  That got it running; now I'm into a
>> >whole
>> >slew of other problems, but at least I have a database.

>> Kevin,

>> What was the problem with jre 116v5?  I keep getting "Warning: Cannot
>> allocate colormap entry for default background." when I start
>> runInstaller.

>> I'll grab jre 117v3 and give it a try.

>> Ciao
>> Fuzzy
>> :-)

>Well, I seem to remember that I didn't even get that far.  I would get the
>message that
>Java was being initialized, and the process would stop.  Investigation with
>strace(1)
>revealed a seg fault.  Since you're getting different behaviour, you may
get
>different
>results.  Good luck.

>--

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Andre Coutur » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've had the same thing,
I resolved it by going to the install/linux directory and launching ./runInst.sh

And everything worked fine.

/Andre

--
Andre Couture
PCDOCS/Fulcrum S.A. - Europe

Office: +33(1)46.29.07.40
GSM Europe: +33(6)07.04.35.65
FAX/Voicemail Europe: +33(1) 53.01.29.63
FAX/Voicemail Canada: +1(514) 221-2261

  coutuan.vcf
< 1K Download

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Kevin O'Gorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Odd that that worked for Andre.  It didn't work for me.  Nothing worked
on Caldera
until I went up to 117v3.  Then install worked, but the database
didn't.  I'm still
worrying about that one, but I've finally been able to download the
8.1.5.0.1 patch
and will try that.

Caldera has even updated their knowledge base to reflect the choice of
117v3.

During this whole excercise, I keep running into folks with different
experience on
the same distro.  Very odd.

--kevin

--

Oracle 8i EE ON Linux

Post by Lothar Armbrüste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Alexander Walz VS/EFA1 wrote at 13-Okt-99  06:28:29
on the subject Re: Big downloads (was: Re: Oracle 8i EE ON Linux):

[...]

Quote:>you can get the same result by just pressing shift when clicking on a
>link ...

Well normally I use this trick but with the OTN download I had no chance
because thne download started right after acepting the license.
Using shift did not impress the Java code behind the button.
Adding the MIME type worked though...

Quote:

>> Generally I have to "add" the type, pointing to an application, then
>> "edit" it to override the application with the instruction to save
>> such files.

Lothar

--

D-65346 Eltville        |

1. Oracle 8i EE on Linux

[...]

2. Column - How do you add one to an existing table

3. Oracle 8i EE on Linux: can't set MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED.

4. How to report a bug in SQLXML 3.0beta?

5. Oracle 8i EE SDE extensions on 8i

6. HELP! Oracle on Linux

7. 8i (8.1.6) EE on Linux - dbasst crashes

8. How to get a connection from Weblogic ConnectionPool

9. Oracle 8i EE for Intel Solaris?

10. Oracle 8i EE or SE

11. Oracle 8i EE install problem on Red Hat 6.1

12. Missing file in download Oracle 8i EE

13. oracle 8i E.E installation on solaris ( on raw devices)