Crash & Recover but Oracle8i Disk Thrashing

Crash & Recover but Oracle8i Disk Thrashing

Post by Mike Morr » Sat, 18 May 2002 23:04:18

I lost a disk on my SilverServer/Oracle8i development server, a Sun
Blade 100 running Solaris 8 patched pretty well with 1gig of ram and 2
ata 30gig drives. (Hey, beggars can't be choosers.)

- I had an almost up to the minute export.
- I have a 2 disk setup and it wasn't the system disk that crashed.
- Oracle itself was on the good disk, only the datafiles were on the
bad drive.

I replaced the drive, deleted the 2 instances: silvermaster and the
real data,
re-created the instances, imported or reloaded the data and was back
up within an amazing (to me) 2.5 hours.

- The disk thrashes outrageously and the response time for anything is
abysmal.
- Swap space was on the system drive and is not even close to used up.
- The disk(s) are almost constantly in use even with no one logged in.

Any ideas?

Mike Morris

1. Recover from transaction log disk crash

Is it possible to recover a 6.5 and/or 7.0 database if the transaction logs
are on a separate physical disk from the data and just the log disk crashes,
without doing a recover from the last database backup and log backups?

Our preferred disk configuration is separate disk for data, logs, and
backup. But if we only have two available, and I backup the logs to the same
disk as the active logs, and then lose that disk, I've lost the backup files
as well if they haven't been copied to tape yet. I still want to keep the
data and logs on separate disk for performance, and have the ability to dump
the log if just the data disk crashes. If I can recover or rebuild just the
log file, I don't need the backup files in this case.

2. Help > Interbase > TCP > Delphi application

3. Recovering a thrashed file...

4. can't find format file in web solution

5. disk thrashing when connecting to sql 2000 database

6. Expanding master database

7. Disk thrashing

8. Integers OR Precision

9. Disk Thrashing w/ SQL 7