Unable to STARTUP through Instance Manager

Unable to STARTUP through Instance Manager

Post by Dawood Subeda » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have setup Enterprise Manager on an NT 4.0 workstation to administer
database instances on a Solaris 2.5.  I have used the orapwd utility to
setup the orapw<sid> files under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.

I am able to access all instances via Enterpise Manager.  Logging in as
SYSDBA I am able to shutdown a running instance from Enterpise Manager.
However I cannot write the initialization parameters to a file on the local
(NT) directory.  The file is always saved as 0 bytes.

I cannot also startup the instance from Enterprise Manager (probably
because there are no initialization parameters and therefore remote login
password file not set to EXCLUSIVE?).  The startup fails with the message -
MGR cannot start database and  ORA 1031 - insufficient privileges.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unable to STARTUP through Instance Manager

Post by Thomas Vany » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Make sure you have read/write access to the directory on the NT box where
the INITsid.ora file is located. This way you can change the instance
parameters. You will also need to reference this same file when attempting
to restart the instance.
--
Thomas W. Vanya
Oracle and OracleRdb Database Administrator

Quote:> I have setup Enterprise Manager on an NT 4.0 workstation to administer
> database instances on a Solaris 2.5.  I have used the orapwd utility to
> setup the orapw<sid> files under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.

> I am able to access all instances via Enterpise Manager.  Logging in as
> SYSDBA I am able to shutdown a running instance from Enterpise Manager.
> However I cannot write the initialization parameters to a file on the
local
> (NT) directory.  The file is always saved as 0 bytes.

> I cannot also startup the instance from Enterprise Manager (probably
> because there are no initialization parameters and therefore remote login
> password file not set to EXCLUSIVE?).  The startup fails with the message
-
> MGR cannot start database and  ORA 1031 - insufficient privileges.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

1. Instance Startup Failure

Hi,

My SQL Server 2000 instance is failing to start. The tail
end of the error log reads:

2002-04-10 15:53:34.03 spid5     Clearing tempdb database.
2002-04-10 15:53:34.04 spid5     Encountered an unexpected
error while checking the sector size for file 'd:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\tempdb.mdf'. Check
the SQL Server error log for more information.
2002-04-10 15:53:34.35 spid5     CREATE DATABASE failed.
Some file names listed could not be created. Check
previous errors.
2002-04-10 15:53:34.35 spid5     WARNING: problem
activating all tempdb files.  See previous errors.
Restart server with -f to correct the situation.

I can confirm that my permissions are correct for this
NTFS directory. System, sa, and Admininstrators all have
full control permissions.

Can someone please explain the meaning of the comment:

"Restart server with -f to correct the situation."
What does this option do, and how do I implement it?

This is the only option I have available at present to
progress this problem, as I can find no additional
information for this error.

Any help wouldd be much appreciated, as everything is
ground to a halt until I can resolve this.

Regards
Simon Kirk
OLAP Analyst, BSkyB

Tel: 01506 485494

2. Example-Makefile for PRO*C

3. Help : SQL 7 / W2k Active/Active registry cautions on instance startup

4. Getting text of SQL-Satement (ProC)

5. Urgent: ORA-00600 on Oracle9i r9.0.1 during Instance startup/database creation

6. MS Graph vs. 3rd Party Graph Utilities

7. Help: startup oracle instance

8. Restructure database/delete field

9. Setting the Oracle Instance to automatically startup at bootup

10. truncate a table at instance startup

11. Startup of DB instance (7.3, WinNT 4.1)

12. Startup of 8i instance on Red Hat 6.2

13. Startup of 8i instance on Red Hat Linux 6.1