Capture a logon in 7.3.4 ?

Capture a logon in 7.3.4 ?

Post by Guy van der Wer » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00



Hello all,
This old chestnut must have come up before, but....

I need to trigger a stored procedure when a user logs into a 7.3.4 DB.
Although possible through application coding (I use Forms, VB and
sqlplus), I need something server-side to catch any initial access to
the data.

I have a theory about an insert trigger on v$session but this sounds a
bit flaky (involving v$ tables). If this IS feasible then is a delete
trigger on v$session also possible ?

All and any thoughs on how to implement a solution is greatly
appreciated.

P.S. No Oracle8 solutions please.

 
 
 

Capture a logon in 7.3.4 ?

Post by wozi » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>Hello all,
>This old chestnut must have come up before, but....

>I need to trigger a stored procedure when a user logs into a 7.3.4 DB.
>Although possible through application coding (I use Forms, VB and
>sqlplus), I need something server-side to catch any initial access to
>the data.

>I have a theory about an insert trigger on v$session but this sounds a
>bit flaky (involving v$ tables). If this IS feasible then is a delete
>trigger on v$session also possible ?

>All and any thoughs on how to implement a solution is greatly
>appreciated.

Your theory seem reasonable since triggers cannot fire based on creating
session with the database.  You could also audit CREATE SESSION and create
trigger on the AUDIT table to check on when the target users log on.

Since triggers fires only for INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, to trigger a procedure
when users connect, the above thoeries might be the only way.
Then, again, someone else may have other ideas.

Good luck!

just my 2 cents..


 
 
 

Capture a logon in 7.3.4 ?

Post by Michel Gauthie » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00


As far as I know, V$SESSION is not a table: it is a dynamic view. So you
can't create a trigger on it.
However, the AUD$ IS a table (owned by SYS I think). So the idea of auditing
create session and creating a trigger on this table seems to be a valuable
one.

Michel Gauthier


s.net...


> >Hello all,
> >This old chestnut must have come up before, but....

> >I need to trigger a stored procedure when a user logs into a 7.3.4 DB.
> >Although possible through application coding (I use Forms, VB and
> >sqlplus), I need something server-side to catch any initial access to
> >the data.

> >I have a theory about an insert trigger on v$session but this sounds a
> >bit flaky (involving v$ tables). If this IS feasible then is a delete
> >trigger on v$session also possible ?

> >All and any thoughs on how to implement a solution is greatly
> >appreciated.

> Your theory seem reasonable since triggers cannot fire based on creating
> session with the database.  You could also audit CREATE SESSION and create
> trigger on the AUDIT table to check on when the target users log on.

> Since triggers fires only for INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, to trigger a
procedure
> when users connect, the above thoeries might be the only way.
> Then, again, someone else may have other ideas.

> Good luck!

> just my 2 cents..


 
 
 

Capture a logon in 7.3.4 ?

Post by Pete Sharma » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00


Might be valuable, but it's completely unsupported.  Triggers on SYS objects are
not allowed.

Pete


> As far as I know, V$SESSION is not a table: it is a dynamic view. So you
> can't create a trigger on it.
> However, the AUD$ IS a table (owned by SYS I think). So the idea of auditing
> create session and creating a trigger on this table seems to be a valuable
> one.

> Michel Gauthier



> s.net...

> > >Hello all,
> > >This old chestnut must have come up before, but....

> > >I need to trigger a stored procedure when a user logs into a 7.3.4 DB.
> > >Although possible through application coding (I use Forms, VB and
> > >sqlplus), I need something server-side to catch any initial access to
> > >the data.

> > >I have a theory about an insert trigger on v$session but this sounds a
> > >bit flaky (involving v$ tables). If this IS feasible then is a delete
> > >trigger on v$session also possible ?

> > >All and any thoughs on how to implement a solution is greatly
> > >appreciated.

> > Your theory seem reasonable since triggers cannot fire based on creating
> > session with the database.  You could also audit CREATE SESSION and create
> > trigger on the AUDIT table to check on when the target users log on.

> > Since triggers fires only for INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, to trigger a
> procedure
> > when users connect, the above thoeries might be the only way.
> > Then, again, someone else may have other ideas.

> > Good luck!

> > just my 2 cents..


--

Regards

Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark
  2  from company_requirements;

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats."
Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not!  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  psharman.vcf
< 1K Download