Killed process not dying

Post by mmoor.. » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:19:12

On our production 7.3.3.6 database (yes, we're planning to upgrade soon).
I've got a process that won't die.  It's marked as KILLED and has been for
several hours.  It just refuses to go away.  It's a minor headache as its
holding an exclusive row lock that is blocking a couple other jobs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the process finally die or at least give
up its lock?

Thanks,
Mike Moore

Killed process not dying

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 03:02:20

> On our production 7.3.3.6 database (yes, we're planning to upgrade soon).
> I've got a process that won't die.  It's marked as KILLED and has been for
> several hours.  It just refuses to go away.  It's a minor headache as its
> holding an exclusive row lock that is blocking a couple other jobs.

> Anyone have any ideas on how to make the process finally die or at least
give
> up its lock?

> Thanks,
> Mike Moore

eb  -----
>   http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+
groups
>    NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email

On Unix you can use the following statement

set heading off pagesize 0 feedback off newpage 0
spool temp.sql
select 'host kill -9 '||p.spid
from v$process p, v$session s
where s.status = 'KILLED'
and     s.paddr = p.addr
/
spool off
set heading on feedback on -- etc
start temp.sql
host rm temp.sql

On NT you can replace kill -9 by orakill

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA