MS SQL Server "Developer Edition"

Post by Andrew Holland » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone used the (new?) Developer Version of MS SQL
Server to development/testing work?  It comes with the
Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise Edition package.

I have a contract to do build an applicaion that will
use SQL Server, and want to setup a development and test
environment on my end to match, but also want to keep
the cost down somewhat. I have had success developing
Oracle based applications using Personal Oracle to
develop and test against...

Andrew
(respond via email please...)

"Horse sense is what keeps horses from betting on what
 people will do."            - Raymond Nash

1. MS SQL Server 7 and "uniqueidentity"-type columns

I'm using SQL Server 7 (Desktop), accessed via JDK 1.2's JDBC-ODBC
bridge under Windows 98 (both SQL Server and client).

SQL Server 7 has a new datatype, "uniqueidentity." When I try to get
my class to access data from a column of this type (via
ResultSet::getString()), I get an error "Numeric value out of range."
(Other column types work fine, though.) When I examine the metadata
for this "uniqueidentity" column, I see that the type is "-11," which
seems a little suspect.

I'm pretty new to Java (and JDBC) - at this point, I'm not even sure
if this is a problem with my Java code, with JDK 1.2's JDBC component,
with my version of ODBC, or with SQL Server 7. Has anyone else run
into this problem?

        Thanks,
                Ethan Shayne

2. Resetting "sa" password back ot NULL

3. MS SQL Server "Connection in USE"

4. problems with msxml3.dll

5. "Development" version of MS SQL Server

6. Trigger to set new record value from a sequence

7. moving DTS to new Server

9. To Joe Celko, question about GROUP BY, related to "SQL for Smarties", second edition

10. MS-SQL "front door" (most versions)

11. "Downscaling" from EE to Standard edition

12. MS SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition