IDAPI configuration and record locking

Post by Jose R. Neb » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi all

  I have a multiuser application developed in delphi.  Everything seems
fine, but I just notice a problem which I think is a bug in the IDAPI
system.

  This is the situation
   2 machines (win95)
   1 server (NT)

  The database is on the server.
  Machine 1 is mapped to the server drive as G:
  Machine 2 is mapped to the server drive as F:

  the net directory on both machines is the same except that the drive
  is different because of the drive mapping.
  The alias on both system is the same except for the drive as above.

I can edit the same record on both machines at the same time with no
execption raised. Sometimes  I get a windows95 message box saying that
the file I am trying to use is in use by another application.
(I don't think that is comming from the IDAPI, but I am not sure).

When I reconnet both machines to the server so that they both are using
the same drive letter, the windows error telling me that a file is in
use by another application is gone.  Also I get the exception about
editing the same record from the two machines. Which is what I should be
getting in the first place.  Except that the message is as follows.
  Record already locked by this session.  I thought that it should say
record already locked by another user.

Having to map all users to the same drive letter is very incovinient
for peer-to-peer networks. i.e win95

Thanks in advance.
Jose R Nebro

1. BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS

Following is the test query

tableName | field Name             |
          | CHECK as TO someName   |

Start your Paradox for Windows. Choose Help|About. Press I. Internal
build will be displayed. Then there will be words "lego:" followed
by a date. If that date is from 1994, you are OK. But if you installed
Delphi or latest release of Novel Office or Quatro Pro, that date
might be from 1995. That's the version of IDAPI the BUG is in. Here
is how it goes...

In above query we have used word "TO". It is not a key word. I called
Borland's Tech Support line paying $2/min and they confirmed it's not.

Above query works fine. But if your "lego" date (i.e. IDAPI build) meets
above criteria, you will get an error message saying "AS must be followed
by a name of field in the ANSWER table". Whether you some thing after
TO or not, DOES NOT MATTER.

Called Borland many times about it but the guys there wouldn't believe
me as it works on any copy of Paradox. Finally I asked them to try it
on a machine which had DELPHI installed on it after Paradox and thus
had a "lego:" date of Feb/95. It was confirmed and registered.

regards,
--nasir

2. Quesion on RDO 2.0 / Oracle Stored Procedures

3. IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

4. Setting security in DTS Packages?

5. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (0/1)

6. FS: reference books

7. Idapi configuration.

8. Helpful Info Available for VB And Access - Newbies may Apply!!!

9. IDAPI Configuration Reference

10. Idapi configuration error

11. IDAPI Configuration Reference

12. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (1/1)

13. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (0/1)