Pure Java or Java with Cgi-bin ???

Post by Hyper-Clou » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi guys,
        I got a query here..hope some of the professionals out there can help in
answering this.
        I'm supposed to create an applet to be put on the web. It will connect to
a database server(MS SQL server) and access/update some tables. I'm
undecided between using pure java or combining java with cgi-bin to do the
job.
        Perhaps you could provide me with some advantages and disadvantages of the
2 methods. Any assitance/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pure Java or Java with Cgi-bin ???

Post by Balthasar Glaettl » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

If you are running IIS, you may use ActiveServerPages instead of cgi, if
you don't mind to use VB Script. It is performing well, written rapidly
and even implements connection pooling.

If you need a more portable solution, you could use Java-servlets as
well instead of Java-cgi's.

We are using both technologies, currently moving from .asp to servlets.

Balthasar Glaettli

netiquette internet consulting

> Hi guys,
>         I got a query here..hope some of the professionals out there can help in
> answering this.
>         I'm supposed to create an applet to be put on the web. It will connect to
> a database server(MS SQL server) and access/update some tables. I'm
> undecided between using pure java or combining java with cgi-bin to do the
> job.
>         Perhaps you could provide me with some advantages and disadvantages of the
> 2 methods. Any assitance/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pure Java or Java with Cgi-bin ???

Post by CreDO Enterpris » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi, Hyper-Cloud !

Quote:>From now this dilemma doesn't exist  - http://www.CreDOBase.com.

Add you enjoy from advantages of the both,

Quote:> Hi guys,
>         I got a query here..hope some of the professionals out there can help in
> answering this.
>         I'm supposed to create an applet to be put on the web. It will connect to
> a database server(MS SQL server) and access/update some tables. I'm
> undecided between using pure java or combining java with cgi-bin to do the
> job.
>         Perhaps you could provide me with some advantages and disadvantages of the
> 2 methods. Any assitance/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pure Java or Java with Cgi-bin ???

Post by CreDO Enterpris » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi, Hyper-Cloud !

Quote:>From now this dilemma doesn't exist  - http://www.CreDOBase.com.

Add you enjoy from advantages of the both,

Quote:> Hi guys,
>         I got a query here..hope some of the professionals out there can help in
> answering this.
>         I'm supposed to create an applet to be put on the web. It will connect to
> a database server(MS SQL server) and access/update some tables. I'm
> undecided between using pure java or combining java with cgi-bin to do the
> job.
>         Perhaps you could provide me with some advantages and disadvantages of the
> 2 methods. Any assitance/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pure Java or Java with Cgi-bin ???

Post by Ward Mullin » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi Hyper-Cloud

You might want to use our CocoBase product.  It deals with a lot of the ugly issues
which are virtually impossible to deal with in JDBC directly (including REAL security)
and all SQL created, controlled, and managed ENTIRELY on the server.  We allow you to
use standard javabeans (we are also the database beans in Sun's JavaStudio), and
standard JDBC drivers to connect to the database.  You can also use Corba or RMI
(depending on vendor, browser choices, desired scaling), and those issues are runtime
for us, meaning you can swap out the different vendors without application recompile.
We do a LOT of the drudgery for you, and provide a VERY slick solution that's pure
java on the client AND server.  And our scaling numbers are amazing considering that
everything is pure java.

Just my $.02

Ward Mullins
THOUGHT Inc.