Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by David Bae » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 20:49:24

I need to connect to a local *.mdb (MS Access)-File from a Java
application.
Can anyone recommend a useful java-library for this purpose. (Just a
library, so I can use it on muliple-platforms).

David

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by John Mishefsk » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:18:50

Java includes a JDBC-ODBC bridge that you can use to read Access
databases.

It is part of the java.sql package.

--
'------------------------------
' John Mishefske

> I need to connect to a local *.mdb (MS Access)-File from a Java
> application.
> Can anyone recommend a useful java-library for this purpose. (Just a
> library, so I can use it on muliple-platforms).

> David

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by Robert Klemm » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 01:13:03

John Mishefske schrieb:

Quote:

> Java includes a JDBC-ODBC bridge that you can use to read Access
> databases.

<snip>

this is not portable.  see the requirement below:

Quote:> > Can anyone recommend a useful java-library for this purpose. (Just a
> > library, so I can use it on muliple-platforms).

        robert

--
Robert Klemme
Software Engineer

Telefon: +49/5251/69090-321 ~ Fax: +49/5251/69090-399

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by Steve Jorgens » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 04:18:12

No, it's not portable, but nothing really is.  FWICT, your best bet is
to do it with the bridge on a Windows system, and use Java RMI to
access the bridge from other systems.  Essentially, you make a server
out of it.

You could also look at the work done here
http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:13:03 +0200, Robert Klemme

>John Mishefske schrieb:
>> =

>> Java includes a JDBC-ODBC bridge that you can use to read Access
>> databases.
><snip>

>this is not portable.  see the requirement below:
> =

>> > Can anyone recommend a useful java-library for this purpose. (Just a
>> > library, so I can use it on muliple-platforms).

>    robert

>-- =

>Robert Klemme
>Software Engineer
>myview technologies GmbH & Co. KG
>Riemekestra=DFe 160 ~ D-33106 Paderborn ~ Germany

>Telefon: +49/5251/69090-321 ~ Fax: +49/5251/69090-399

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by Ernst Adle » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 01:42:06

You don't need a library !
Simply use the JDBC features from JDK.
Check out package java.sql.* and others.

rgds ernst

--
 _  _ ___ ___  Ernst Adler
| || / __| _ \ HSR Hochschule Rapperswil; Oberseestrasse 10;
| __ \__ \   / CH-8640 Rapperswil; Switzerland; Fax:+41 55 222 4400

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by Dimitr » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:59:35

David,

If you need a JDBC driver to connect to MS Access you might want to
have a look at the type3 DataDirect SequeLink driver. This is a 100%
pure JAVA JDBC driver that is completly portable. It also uses TCP/IP
to communicate with server component so your client tier doesn't need
to have file access to the place where you have stored the actual
MDBs.

A free eval is available on www.merant.com/datadirect.

Cheers,
Dimitri

> I need to connect to a local *.mdb (MS Access)-File from a Java
> application.
> Can anyone recommend a useful java-library for this purpose. (Just a
> library, so I can use it on muliple-platforms).

> David

Looking for JDBC(/ODBC) Driver for MS Access

Post by RiffRaf » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:09:35

Whilst John is quite correct, I have found the JDBC/OBDC bridge to
MS-Acess to be a bit dodgy. Your Java program will successfully execute
INSERT statements and continue, but in reality MS-Access has done nothing.
Perhaps you may want to look at a more solid DB such as IBM DB2 or Oracle
that offers proper Java drivers which are designed for JDBC.