Help: Database Location after installation

Help: Database Location after installation

Post by Jef » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,
 I have a problem that I am trying to solve, and as of yet been unable
to.....so I'm writing here to ask for your assistance.

 I have a simple VB database app......using MSA 1.1 (yeah, I know, use
2.0, but that's another story all together.)  The problem is that
after I've installed the program on the users machine, the program
continues to expect the DB file in the directory where it was stored
when I was testing the code.  (?)

 I don't have any hardcoded references to the db location and infact
use curdir$ to fully qualify the directory where the db files should
be.

 Is there some problem with the setup wizard with vb3 pro that makes
some kind of registry entry (I'm grabbin at straws now) when I 'added'
the file to the setup app routine.

 One last thing, I actually changed the code doing a chdir
"c:\progloc" and installed the program into that directory...and
my vb program is still looking in the original directory.

 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 Post a reply here....as I frequent this newsgroup daily.

 Thanks in advance,
  Jeff

Help: Database Location after installation

Post by Joe Beat » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hey Jeff!
  I remember this garbage well...
In the specify database location option, just save it as 'Same a report'
so that way, when you put all your reports in the same directory as your DB,
you won't get that message again...

Help: Database Location after installation

Post by Maarten van den Dunge » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I heard that VB is storing those paths internally. When i installing data aware apps
i use an INI file to get the path to the databases. Use GetPrivateProfileString to
get the path name from the INI file. This works for me.

--

Maarten van den Dungen
The Netherlands

Post by Andy Dingl » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> I don't have any hardcoded references to the db location

I bet you do !  Check for design-time properties to data controls.
If you have it set here, it may crash at form load time, and it
happens too early for you to trap it.

If you're writing "commercial" grade code, leave the design time
setting blank, load the form, set the path to the database from within
code, then show the form.

It's possible you might have a problem with paths to attached tables
in a database.

--

If all it takes is an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters,
how come AOL haven't written any Shakespeare yet ?

1. Specifying a different database location during installation

I'm a novice VB programmer who would like to know how to
specify a different path for my database than the path
used during development of the program.  During
development, when I add a data control to my application,
I specify a Jet DB that is on my hard drive.  However,
when I plan to install the completed application on my
customer's PCs, the database will be on a server.
Therefore, I need to know how to make a referential and
not absolute reference to a database in my data controls,
during development, and also how do I set the path of the
database during installation.  The customer will decide
where the database will be located.

I think in the past, this used to be done with an ini file
where one could set the DB path.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Problem

3. How to copy 6.5 database to 7.0 installation not in same physical location

4. Thanks for the EPOS advice

5. Active Directory Installation: The Network Location Cannot Be Reached

6. Combobox & selected text

7. Installation location of Perl and Python modules

8. newbie question about RBS

9. D3 BDE installation peculiarities and file locations

10. Strange default installation location

11. Database Location Help

12. PLEASE HELP: Restore Master Database to new location

13. Help-Database in a Remote Location: Where to put the data files