JLAN Server 3.0 - SMB/FTP/NFS Virtual File Server, Database Filesystem

JLAN Server 3.0 - SMB/FTP/NFS Virtual File Server, Database Filesystem

Post by JLAN Serve » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:51:51

JLAN Server 3.0 - Java Virtual Filesystem Server

JLAN Server is a Java based file server implementing a number of industry
standard protocols.

The original JLAN Server implemented the SMB/CIFS protocol that is used
by Windows networking to provide disk and print shares, plus other
network administration and security functions.

Version 3.0 adds FTP and NFS protocol support using the same virtual
filesystem drivers used by the SMB/CIFS server.

The JLAN Server uses a virtual filesystem interface that provides a
standard interface to the filesystem for the various protocols. The
virtual filesystem may be mapped to a real filesystem, or other
repository or media. Several virtual filesystem drivers are included in
the JLAN Server application Jar.

Version 3.0 adds a database based filesystem using JDBC. The filesystem
structure is stored in a database table with pluggable loader classes
used to load/store the file data. Two sample file loader implementations
are included, one uses the local filesystem to store the file data and
the other uses a seperate database table to store the file data in BLOB
fields.

A framework is included with the database filesystem for integrating with
other repositiories and devices.

Version 3.0 also adds the 'share mapper' interface that allows virtual
filesystems to be created dynamically depending upon the host, user,
share name etc. The share mapper also supports virtual hosting under the
SMB/CIFS server. A sample share mapper implementation allows a user to
connect to a HOME share that is mapped to their home directory.

A new JLAN Server Programmers Guide is also included in the kit.

JLAN Server has been tested on WinXP, Win2000, NT4, Win98, Linux using
Sun 1.3/1.4, IBM 1.3 and jRockit JVMs.The server has been tested using
WinXP, Win2000, NT4, Win98, Linux smbfs, Mac OS9, Mac OSX and JLAN
clients.

A full working demo server application is available from :-
  http://www.starlasoft.com/downloads.html

A developer kit and royalty free commercial licence that include the full
source code, 12 months email support and 12 months of updates are also
available.

More details are available at http://www.starlasoft.com.

1. DB2 7.2 databases on NFS filesystem?

I just attempted to setup a new DB2 installation (on RedHat Linux 7.1) over
NFS.  I first installed the database locally, then moved all the binaries and
DB2 user home directories over to NFS filesystems.  Everything seemed to move
correctly, and file ownerships all appear to be correct.  I can even run
/etc/rc.db2 and things appear to startup cleanly.  However, when I try to
connect to one of the databases, the system appears to hang.  I can still login
remotely, but 'df' hangs when trying to get stats on the NFS filesystems, and
the 'connect to dbname' at the interactive db2 prompt just hangs indefinitely.
After one attempt, I was unable to reboot the server and needed to power cycle
it, which now results in the database I was trying to access that time around
inaccessible (SQL1391N The database is already in use by another instance of
the database).

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?  If so, what do I need to do to the NFS
server, NFS client or database to make this work?  Eventually, we'd like to get
the database on a NetApp filer, but for now, we're prototyping and testing
things with a couple of Linux boxes.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Dave Thompson

2. Personal Oracle 8 and Visual Studio 6 problem

3. PowerBuilder 3.0, Sybase SQL server 4.9.2 and SUN's PC-NFS

4. (PDXJOBS) Oracle Project Lead - RBA1340

5. virtual filesystem atop a PostgreSQL database

6. Query by example code...

7. Fwd: Re: virtual filesystem atop a PostgreSQL database

8. Nested Queries

9. Web Server 3.0 and Web Applications Server 3.0

10. NFS filesystems ok for Oracle tablespace?

11. Client on same server as SQL Server Virtual Server

12. INX_UTIL Tool Kit 3.0 now available via ftp://ftp.gate.net/pub/users/tschaefe/

13. Web Apllication Server 3.0 causing Database server to hang