Connecting to Gupta/Centura SQLBase?

Post by Juergen Jaquemot » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

Does anyone know how I can connect to a Gupta SQLBase from a Delphi
application without having to use Gupta's C-API?

Post by Jolyon Smit » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!

> Does anyone know how I can connect to a Gupta SQLBase from a Delphi
> application without having to use Gupta's C-API?

You can use ODBC, but I think I am right in saying that the SQLBase ODBC
driver has a few show-stopping bugs in it (when used with the BDE).

Alternatively you could check out my (free!) component which
uses the SQL/API directly (and is reportedly a lot quicker than
the equivalent SQL Links, e.g. Oracle) but which provides a wrapper
around the SQL/API so that you don't call it directly from your app.

The component is not compatible with TDB.. controls, but *is* compatible
with _ANY_ control, e.g. TEdit, TListbox etc.  For more information drop
me an email or check out my web site:

   http://www.user.dircon.co.uk/~smithjt/home.html

There's a lot of dross there, but the bit you want is the "Office".

Regards,

Jolyon.

Post by Nathan Stiltne » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi!

>Does anyone know how I can connect to a Gupta SQLBase from a Delphi
>application without having to use Gupta's C-API?

I think that Centura has an ODBC driver available that you can use to
connect to it.  I thought that it already comes with the database (but I
may be wrong).

HTH,

Nathan Stiltner

Post by T. Sorens » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Connecting to Gupta/Centura SQLBase?
>Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 09:08:03 +0100

>> Hi!

>> Does anyone know how I can connect to a Gupta SQLBase from a Delphi
>> application without having to use Gupta's C-API?
>You can use ODBC, but I think I am right in saying that the SQLBase ODBC
>driver has a few show-stopping bugs in it (when used with the BDE).
(snip)
>Jolyon.

What are the "show-stopping bugs" in the ODBC driver ?
(I haven't used it yet)

Ted

Post by Patrick B. Haggo » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>Subject: Re: Connecting to Gupta/Centura SQLBase?
>>Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 09:08:03 +0100

>>> Hi!

>>> Does anyone know how I can connect to a Gupta SQLBase from a Delphi
>>> application without having to use Gupta's C-API?

>>You can use ODBC, but I think I am right in saying that the SQLBase ODBC
>>driver has a few show-stopping bugs in it (when used with the BDE).
>(snip)
>>Jolyon.

Really?  Well, I have to admit I'm must using Gupta's ODBC driver
for SQLBase 6 for transferring data to a Watcom SQL-based system,
but I haven't seen any snags yet (but don't let me get talking
about their USELESS SQLTalk tool...)

Post by Jolyon Smit » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >>You can use ODBC, but I think I am right in saying that the SQLBase ODBC
> >>driver has a few show-stopping bugs in it (when used with the BDE).
> >(snip)
> >>Jolyon.

> Really?  Well, I have to admit I'm must using Gupta's ODBC driver
> for SQLBase 6 for transferring data to a Watcom SQL-based system,
> but I haven't seen any snags yet (but don't let me get talking
> about their USELESS SQLTalk tool...)

Like I say - I *think* I am right in saying - I do not use the SQLBase ODBC driver
myself since I use native SQL/API calls - I merely echo reports on this and
CompuServe areas where people have reported problems with the Gupta SQLBase ODBC
driver when used with the BDE (the problems may be more generic than this but I have
only seen them reported in connection with TQuery components in Delphi).

As I recall, the problems are related to UPDATE operations, so if you are
only SELECTing from SQLBase to INSERT/UPDATE Watcom you won't have experienced the
problems.

BTW: I'll do you a deal - you don't talk about SQLTalk and I won't talk about the
USELESS Watcom utilities for database backup/recovery etc etc etc.  :-)

--
Jolyon Smith                         |  The views represented above are my own
Application Development Consultant   |  and do not necessarily represent the