Learning ODBC

Post by Paul Sheldo » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I would suggest using Access as the database, and use ODBCTest to run
queries.

Quote:> Is there a database manager that lets you connect via ODBC when it is on
the
> same computer as the program?

> My understanding is that SQL Server requires Win NT to run, but I need
one that
> is also functional on Win 95.

> I am trying to figure out how to teach ODBC on a single computer without
costing
> the student an arm and a leg...

Learning ODBC

Post by Dag Sund » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 IBM's DB2 is downloadable for a 60-days free evaluation period.
It comes in a win95-flavour, that is single user.

Beware that DB2 is not one of the easiest DB's to install and
setup, but once you have done that, it works as a dream via
ODBC.

Another choice migth be SQL-Anywhere... Beats the livin'
daylight out of SQL-Server, and is Dirt-cheap...

IMHO...

Dag.

>I would suggest using Access as the database, and use ODBCTest to run
>queries.

>> Is there a database manager that lets you connect via ODBC when it is on
>the
>> same computer as the program?

>> My understanding is that SQL Server requires Win NT to run, but I need
>one that
>> is also functional on Win 95.

>> I am trying to figure out how to teach ODBC on a single computer without
>costing
>> the student an arm and a leg...

Learning ODBC

Post by Bob » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I would suggest using Access as the database, and use ODBCTest to run
> queries.

> > Is there a database manager that lets you connect via ODBC when it is on
> the
> > same computer as the program?

> > My understanding is that SQL Server requires Win NT to run, but I need
> one that
> > is also functional on Win 95.

> > I am trying to figure out how to teach ODBC on a single computer without
> costing
> > the student an arm and a leg...

The best solution on my opinion ORACLE you can install it on win 95 (if
you will get Personal ORACLE no confguration reguired on win95 platform)
and 90 days trial version costs about $15

Learning ODBC

Post by Dag Sund » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 Oracle wants MONEY for a 90-day TRIAL version???

I don't believe it!!!!

(And it doesn't matter if it's only US$ 15.-)

Dag.

>> I would suggest using Access as the database, and use ODBCTest to run
>> queries.

>> > Is there a database manager that lets you connect via ODBC when it is
on
>> the
>> > same computer as the program?

>> > My understanding is that SQL Server requires Win NT to run, but I need
>> one that
>> > is also functional on Win 95.

>> > I am trying to figure out how to teach ODBC on a single computer
without
>> costing
>> > the student an arm and a leg...

>The best solution on my opinion ORACLE you can install it on win 95 (if
>you will get Personal ORACLE no confguration reguired on win95 platform)
>and 90 days trial version costs about $15

Learning ODBC

Post by Bob » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

This trial version works after 90 days :)

>  Oracle wants MONEY for a 90-day TRIAL version???

> I don't believe it!!!!

> (And it doesn't matter if it's only US$ 15.-)

> Dag.

> >> I would suggest using Access as the database, and use ODBCTest to run
> >> queries.

> on
> >> the

> >> one that

> without
> >> costing

> >The best solution on my opinion ORACLE you can install it on win 95 (if
> >you will get Personal ORACLE no confguration reguired on win95 platform)
> >and 90 days trial version costs about $15

1. Learning ODBC

I want to learn how to code directly for the ODBC API.  The speed
advantage is huge, but I find that I don't have the resources to learn
the API.

Can anyone suggest a good net site for examples and tutorials.  If that
fails, is there a particularly good book?

2. Error 806 - what is it?

3. error in uninstalling

4. Best learning strategy for learning web database prog.

5. Access GPFs Heapwalk

6. Learning FMPro and ODBC

7. Merge 2 BMPs horizontally?

8. How to start/learn DB programming in C++ with ODBC

9. VB5 Learn Ed./Access Database/Password/ODBC

10. Learning SQL - going from Access to ODBC: Help!

11. odbc error(category :odbc,source:odbc sql server driver,number:S1T00)

12. Please recommend BOOK(s) for VFP guy to learn SQL Server 7.0 quick