ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

Post by Kaj W. Halvorse » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

(Message are posted in the following newsgroups: .ado, .rdo, .dao. odbc)
Hi!

I am a rather fresh programmer that have just started to look at ODBC
and ACCESS connections in my apps. I have made a few small apps
connecting to an ODBC(SQL server) using RDO, and I have made a few apps
using MS DAO 3.5 connecting to an access database. In the furture I will
be making more applications and I can choose wether to use Access or
SQL(SQL will probably be preferred). Can anyone tell me upsides and
downsides to the different connections (ADO, DAO and RDO). I have read
all the newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com/vb.database.*, but none of the
articles seems to quite answer this question. If there are posted
articles on this subject other places please give me a hint.

Thanks in advance!
KajW

ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

Post by Michel Wals » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

SQL is a query language, it has no GUI (graphic user interface). Access is a
box of tools around a database theme. They are complementary, not in
contradiction. Access was, up to now, mainly oriented toward JET engine, but
further releases seems to be more independent through the use of ADO and
universal data access.

Forget about RDO (go directly for ADO instead). DAO is not dead, yet, there
are still things we cannot do in ADO that we can do in ADO., but THE MAIN
POINT, is that you probably won't see ANY difference at all unless you start
programming in VBA: SQL knows nothing of DAO, ADO, RDO, ....

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

>(Message are posted in the following newsgroups: .ado, .rdo, .dao. odbc)
>Hi!

>I am a rather fresh programmer that have just started to look at ODBC
>and ACCESS connections in my apps. I have made a few small apps
>connecting to an ODBC(SQL server) using RDO, and I have made a few apps
>using MS DAO 3.5 connecting to an access database. In the furture I will
>be making more applications and I can choose wether to use Access or
>SQL(SQL will probably be preferred). Can anyone tell me upsides and
>downsides to the different connections (ADO, DAO and RDO). I have read
>all the newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com/vb.database.*, but none of the
>articles seems to quite answer this question. If there are posted
>articles on this subject other places please give me a hint.

>Thanks in advance!
>KajW

ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

Post by Reynhout Yve » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You may want to check out the VBPJ of December.

There's an article in there with the answer to your question.