DataControl On Line Update with SQL Passthrough

DataControl On Line Update with SQL Passthrough

Post by Yan L » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Does any one konw whether or not a data control based on a pass-through
stored procedure (in a SQL Server database via ODBC) that selects records
from multiple tables using JOINs can do on-line edit to the records? Can
use Data1.Recordset.AddNew? can use Data1.Recordset.Delete? ...

I am talking about VB v3.0 and the data control is definitely not
READONLY. The database tables are updateable.

I got error messages saying those operations were illegal when I tried to
do so. But no VB user manuals or other books talk about you CAN NOT do
so. And as matter of fact, this is the way a data control is used -
connecting to data source via ODBC and you can do on-line edit on it.
All examples I've read just talk about simple ones like a data control
connecting to a single table or a pass-through SQL selecting records from
a single table, etc...

Any information is welcome and appreciated!

Yan

Post by Chris Dod » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>do so. But no VB user manuals or other books talk about you CAN NOT do
>so.

Check the OLH on Dynasets - if they're created with DB_SQLPASSTHROUGH
then they are not updatable.
Quote:>All examples I've read just talk about simple ones like a data control
>connecting to a single table or a pass-through SQL selecting records from
>a single table, etc...

VB3 Professional Features Book 2 Page 85 details the issues around
updating dynaset based on multiple-tables - bear in mid that if you've
used DB_PASSTHROUGH then it won't be updatable anyway !