I know this is a crosspost, but I need to know which is the best one for posting INET FTP queries

Post by Lapha » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:52:23

I know this is a crosspost, but I need to know which is the best one for
posting INET FTP queries, so that I'm not cross-posting in future.

Now that I've posted could somebody let me know:

1) Why can I download Access DBs from FTP sites in the default mode
(icString??) and everything looks OK (eg, file/byte size, functionality,
etc), when MSDN shows a completely different method for binary downloads?

I thought Access DBs were binary files.  Please confirm why and what is the
best method.

2) I'm downloading about 10 x Access DBs from various web sites on a daily
basis (for backup purposes) and even though everything is working fine at my
default setting of 1024 chunks - isn't this bottlenecking my ADSL 512K
connection and driving my HD unnecessarily crazy??

Problem is that if I increase this size to say 4096, it increases my chances
of not getting the exact file size and therefore my files are 200K instead
of the correct 196K.

How can I get round this - if there is a problem in the first place?

Many thanks everyone.

Once again apols for the initial cross-post.

Rgds

Laphan