SQL*Links and SQL*Net

Post by o.. » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi....

I'm a real novice in the Delphi world, and I'm going to develop the
client application connected ORACLE server at workstation.
But I have a difficulty in using SQL*Links.

After setting up BDE Configuration, I tried to login in ORACLE server.
Computer said "Vendor initialization failed. File:ORANT71.DLL".

I was so depressed at the message and found whether that was or not.
There was no file named ORANT71.DLL.
A book says that ORANT71.DLL is concerned with SQL*Net.

So, I want to know the relation between SQL*Links and SQL*Net,
and exact way how to use SQL*Links without SQL*Net.

SQL*Links and SQL*Net

Post by Dave Gecawic » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

You need SQL Net to connect to Oracle with SQL Links or ODBC.  SQL Links
interacts with SQL Net to connect to Oracle.  In BDECFG, you should set
ORACLE's VENDOR INIT parameter to the name of the SQL Net* ORAxxxx.DLL
found in you Oracle Home\BIN or \DLL directory.  The SERVER NAME of the BDE
alias should be set to TNS:dbalias, where dbalias is the database alias you
set up using SQL Net* Easy Config for the oracle server that you want to
connect to.  You can look in TNSNAMES.ORA to verify the SQL Net* dbalias.
Also, in BDE config, you must always leave the NET PROTOCOL parameter blank
- SQL Net will handle the network stuff. An example of a BDE oracle alias
called MYORAALIAS would be:

Driver parameters for Oracle 7.2:

VENDOR INIT: ORANT72.DLL
NET PROTOCOL: null

Alias: MYORAALIAS
SERVER NAME: TNS: MYSERVER.WORLD
USER NAME: JOE
NET PROTOCOL: null

There are a couple technical information articles published by Borland on
the Delphi forum on Compuserve. Search on Oracle.

Quote:> Hi....

> I'm a real novice in the Delphi world, and I'm going to develop the
> client application connected ORACLE server at workstation.
> But I have a difficulty in using SQL*Links.

> After setting up BDE Configuration, I tried to login in ORACLE server.
> Computer said "Vendor initialization failed. File:ORANT71.DLL".

> I was so depressed at the message and found whether that was or not.
> There was no file named ORANT71.DLL.
> A book says that ORANT71.DLL is concerned with SQL*Net.

> So, I want to know the relation between SQL*Links and SQL*Net,
> and exact way how to use SQL*Links without SQL*Net.

1. SQL Links 2.5, SQL*Net 1, Delphi 1 & Windows NT problem

Hi,

I am having a problem with Oracle SQL*Net v2 and Borland SQLLink v2.5 on
the Windows NT 3.51 platform in conjunction with a Delphi v1 database.

We are trying to provide a remote access solution using Citrix (essentially
NT3.51) which will run the Delphi application using SQL*Net and SQLLink for
ODBC and TCP/IP services on behalf of a remote client. These are 16-bit
modules and I am having the following problems when running them on NT>

When using an ODBC aware application (e.g. QuattroPro) to connect using an
alias created in SQLLink - We get a unexpected error with no message after
logging in to the Oracle server and before displaying the table names

When running the Delphi v1 application it crashes before connecting to the
database with Stack Error messages and nothing more.

If I try to use Oracle ODBC drivers instead of Borland SQLLinks I can
connect to the database at the ODBC level using Quattro Pro, and also run
the application. But after running a few queries the application starts
complaing about not being able to reference tables and indexes etc. because
the connection appears to have been dropped.

If I upgrade to SQLNet v2, SQLLinks 3.5?, and Delphi 2 can I compile the
Delphi application to run under a 32bit operating system easily, and will
it be reliable under NT?

Am I being stupid, or are the problems that I have received characteristic
of SQLLinks v2.5 not being supported on NT?

Is there a way I can avoid all of the above heartache and be blissfully
happy again without tearing my hair out?

All correspondence gratefully received.

Steve Walker

2. Pro*C/C++

3. SQL*Net,SQL*Link,PDox45W- HELP!

4. How to insert .avi file into the database?

5. SQL LINKS V2.0, SQL*NET V2, ORACLE7 and DECNET

6. MultiServer Setup

7. SQL LINK 2.0/PDOXWIN 5.0/SQL*NET TCP/IP

8. Using MS Visual InterDev for Stored Procedure Debug

9. SQL*Net 1 ==> SQL*Net 2

10. SQL*Net 16 bits and SQL*Net 32 bits on the same PC

11. SQL*Net 2.2 and SQL*Net 2.3 compatibility ?

12. SQL*Net V2 vs SQL*Net V1

13. SQL*Net V1 and SQL*Net V2