Trying to delete a record containing empty fields

Trying to delete a record containing empty fields

Post by peter juet » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

If I try to delete a record using a DBGrid when the record contains one
or more empty field the delete is aborted and the following message
appears:-

"Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the process because the data
has been changed by another user".

There are no other users.

I beleive that there is a mismatch between VB and the database when
comparing NULLs and that because the values appear different VB assumes
the record has been changed by another user.

An answer is to set all empty values to zero and update the database
(doesn't work with dates!) - I do this on Select Change event (as the
user must select the record before deletion).

I have not found anything in MSDN, books on line etc to overcome this,
any ideas most welcome.

Cheers,
Peter.

1. Error 0x80040E21 adding record containing text field to empty table

I get error 0x80040E21 when using ADO to add a record to en empty Access
table where one of the fields is text. If I change the field type to numeric
(not what I need) then the problem does not occur. Equally if I enter a dummy
record in the table from Access then the same code successfully enters a new
record. Any ideas?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How to save & print layout in DatabaseDesigner

3. varchar fields should be empty, but contain 1 space char

4. HELP: Grouping

5. Error 3167 Openning RecordSet containing Deleted Records

6. CITY - Senior Visual Basic 5 Developer - Derivatives Front Office Development

7. How to delete a record with the key which contains "%20"(space) in the

8. Please help with Bound Textbox

9. local views contain deleted records

10. Delete empty record

11. Deleting empty records

12. MS SQL Server 7.0 error when trying to insert or delete a record in sybase base