Secured DB and Data Environment

Post by Vlad Chaprano » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Could anybody give me step by step instructions how to protect Access
database with Password and then to open it in Data Environment. I'm doing
something wrong and can't understand what. All the time when I'm testing
connection I get an error message about invalid password or user name. I
tryed to secure db with Password, I tryed to create User with Password.
Everything fails.
Thank you.
Vlad

Secured DB and Data Environment

Post by Tony Fountai » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Martin,

OpenDatabase is a DAO method.  Vlad is using the Data Environment in VB, as
in ADO.

--
Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP

> Please look up in the help at opendatabase method. This must help you. I
use
> it in Vb al the time

> Kind regards Martin.

> Vlad Chapranov heeft geschreven in bericht ...
> >Could anybody give me step by step instructions how to protect Access
> >database with Password and then to open it in Data Environment. I'm doing
> >something wrong and can't understand what. All the time when I'm testing
> >connection I get an error message about invalid password or user name. I
> >tryed to secure db with Password, I tryed to create User with Password.
> >Everything fails.
> >Thank you.
> >Vlad

Secured DB and Data Environment

Post by Tony Fountai » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Vlad,

MS has several whitepapers on their site regarding Access and security.  Do a search to see what you turn up.  Second, you need to have a few items in your Connection string parameter of the Connection object:

User ID=<insert the user id here>
Password=<insert password here>
    'or is it Pwd=    ???
Jet OLEDB:System database=<location of Access security file>

The User ID and Passwords will be created when you follow the steps in the MS Access Security whitepaper you need to download.  The System Database line points to the file that will be created as a result of following the steps in the whitepaper.

Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP
--------------------------------

Post by Martin Visser » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Please look up in the help at opendatabase method. This must help you. I use
it in Vb al the time

Kind regards Martin.

Vlad Chapranov heeft geschreven in bericht ...

>Could anybody give me step by step instructions how to protect Access
>database with Password and then to open it in Data Environment. I'm doing
>something wrong and can't understand what. All the time when I'm testing
>connection I get an error message about invalid password or user name. I
>tryed to secure db with Password, I tryed to create User with Password.
>Everything fails.
>Thank you.
>Vlad

Secured DB and Data Environment

Post by Vlad Chaprano » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for answer. Please anybody repete my following steps and tell me
where is my mistake?
I do the following steps:
1. I make a copy of NWind.mdb from VB folder to my Test folder.
2. I open exclusivly NWind.mdb
3. Through Tools-Security-Set Database Password I enter the word
 'Test' twice (without quotes).
4. I close NWind
5. I open NWind, it gives me "Password Required" dialog.
6. I enter 'Test'. DB opens. Fine.
7. I start new VB project and add trough Project-More ActiveX Disigners-
 DataEnvironment DataEnvironment1
8. There is Connection1 inside
9. I make right click on Connection1 and click on Properties
10.Data Link Properties dialog appears.
11.Either double clicking on Microsoft Jet OLEDB3.51 Provider or
 highlighting the same item and clicking on Next button brings
 me to the tab where I select NWind.mdb (my copy).
12.By default User Name is Admin, I enter 'Test' (my password). I tried
 to enter password on the Connection tab and on the All tab with
 the same bad result.
13.I click on Test Connection button and receive Error message saying:
 "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing
 provider.Can't start your application. The workgroup information
 file is missing or opened exclusively by another user"
I tried to protect DB different way (steps from 1 to 6). I set a password
through Tools-Security-User and Group Accounts (in Access ofcource), I was
able to open NWind as Admin with 'Test' password in Access, but I had the
same error message in VB with Data Environment.
Assuming that something is wrong with installation of Access or VB I
repeted my steps on several computers with no success. Sorry for so long
description, I just want to be more informative to avoid some
misunderstanding.
What I'm doing wrong or missing?

Thank you
Vlad

Secured DB and Data Environment

Post by Vlad Chaprano » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, God.
I've got it solved. On advanced tab I assigned my password to OLEDB Password
and cleared Password property

1. Secured DB and Data Environment

I have exactly the same problem as posted by Vlad below.  He indicated
that he resolved it as follows:

However, when I look at the advanced tab, there is nothing like that on it.
I'm looking at the advanced tab on the Data Link dialog box that comes
up when entering the connection properties for the DataEnvironment.

Can anyone help?

Cheryl in SLC
(make the obvious correction to my address to e-mail)

where is my mistake?
twice (without quotes).
DataEnvironment >DataEnvironment1
highlighting the same item and >clicking on Next button brings
enter password on the >Connection tab and on the All tab with the same bad
result.
"Test connection failed >because of an error in initializing provider.Can't
start your application. The workgroup information file >is missing or opened
exclusively by another user"
through Tools-Security-User >and Group Accounts (in Access ofcource), I was
able to open NWind as Admin with 'Test' password >in Access, but I had the
same error message in VB with Data Environment.
repeted my steps on several >computers with no success. Sorry for so long
description, I just want to be more informative to avoid >some

2. Unable to change timeouts using Java

3. Can't open secure database in Data Environment

4. Add Table to Published Table being Replicated

5. Securing DB using Data Manager?

6. Rid hard returns?

7. Using a Data Control in VB5 accessing a user-level secure Access 97 DB

8. What Databases exist? use sqgetdbs()

9. db navigation troubles: Data Environment hierarchy

10. Data Environment with AS/400 OLE DB not working

11. Data Environment: Missing MS JET OLE DB components

12. OLE DB Provider for Oracle problem in Data Environment

13. Data Environment and JET OLE DB 4.0