Password problems

Post by Tom Van den Abbeel » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

There are 3 problems that I can't resolve to let users let administrate
there own account. All of them have to do with the passwords the users have
to enter when they want to log on to a Access DB through a ODBC connection.

1st problem:
To be able to change a password you first have to change to property
'SystemDB' of the DBEngine object to the 'mdw'-file your system is using for
the user accounts. But when the program is using a ODBC connection, the
database location and the location of the system database are stored in the
ODBC connection. Is there a possibility to get the database locations from
the ODBC connection or is there an other solution to change a password?

2nd problem:
Normally a administrator can reset the password of any user without knowing
there password. This action is also possibly in MS Access, but DAO only
gives the opportunity to change a password when the old one is entered
correctly:
      DBEngine.Workspaces(0).Users(varUserName).NewPassword varOldPassword,
varNewPassword
I didn't find any method to reset a password of a user. What can I do to
make this function available in my program.

3rd problem:
After I changed the password of the 'admin'-user, I'm still able to logon to
the database using the new password. But when I want to use any method of
the DBEngine.Workspaces(0), I receive an error saying that the username or
the password is invalid.
This problem doesn't occur for any other user. Is there an explanation for
this phenomenon?

If someone knows an answer to any of these problems, I will be very pleased
with the possible solution!
Thanks in advance.

Tom

Password problems

Post by mary chipma » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

i'll address #2 first -- the NewPassword method works with resetting a
password. you can pass an empty string for the OldPassword if you are
a member of the Admins group.

as far as #1 goes, you need to connect to the workgroup file since all
user, group and password information is saved there -- there's no
other way to do it.

#3 -- DBEngine.Workspaces(0) refers to the default workspace. is it
possible that you've opened another one in the meantime?

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:51:37 +0200, "Tom Van den Abbeele"

>There are 3 problems that I can't resolve to let users let administrate
>there own account. All of them have to do with the passwords the users have
>to enter when they want to log on to a Access DB through a ODBC connection.

>1st problem:
>To be able to change a password you first have to change to property
>'SystemDB' of the DBEngine object to the 'mdw'-file your system is using for
>the user accounts. But when the program is using a ODBC connection, the
>database location and the location of the system database are stored in the
>ODBC connection. Is there a possibility to get the database locations from
>the ODBC connection or is there an other solution to change a password?

>2nd problem:
>Normally a administrator can reset the password of any user without knowing
>there password. This action is also possibly in MS Access, but DAO only
>gives the opportunity to change a password when the old one is entered
>correctly:
>      DBEngine.Workspaces(0).Users(varUserName).NewPassword varOldPassword,
>varNewPassword
>I didn't find any method to reset a password of a user. What can I do to
>make this function available in my program.

>3rd problem:
>After I changed the password of the 'admin'-user, I'm still able to logon to
>the database using the new password. But when I want to use any method of
>the DBEngine.Workspaces(0), I receive an error saying that the username or
>the password is invalid.
>This problem doesn't occur for any other user. Is there an explanation for
>this phenomenon?

>If someone knows an answer to any of these problems, I will be very pleased
>with the possible solution!
>Thanks in advance.

>Tom

1. DAO password problem

I'm having a new problem with an old app. I recently upgraded VB to SP4 and
I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.

I connect to an Access 95 database using DAO 2.5 and a user id and password.
Everything works fine until recently. Now it doesn't let me login anymore
unless I login as "Admin" and password of "". If I use the proper ID and PW
then it says. "Can't start your application. The workgroup file is missing
or opened exclusively. Error #3028."

What does this mean? The workgroup file IS there and works fine with an
empty password. But the real password doesn't go through. I went to
Project/References and now see that it is referencing DAO 3.6. I didn't know
there was such a verion. I tried all the other DAO libraries and it didn't
help.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

~Brian

2. HELP!! Remote access to webserver

3. Jet Linked Server - Password Problem

4. Expert System Software needed

5. PASSWORD PROBLEMS WITH SERVICEPACK 2 - HELP.....

6. transaction log problem

7. sa password problem

8. how to make stored procedure return more than one rows

9. SA Password Problem

10. Database Password problem - MS Access

11. Changing SQLServer 7.0 Password Problem

12. password problem with DTS

13. Password problem in Interbase and Database Desktop