Want to setup a database on internet, need help/ideas

Want to setup a database on internet, need help/ideas

Post by Cyberma » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi Everybody,
    I'm a novas Java programmer and still learning a lot. I would like to
setup a database on the internet and have users access this database
throught a Applet.
I know how to write a applet. I have wrote basic applet that does whole lot
of nothing to a Applet that accesses a MS Access database on my local
machine and they all worked.

I read books on the subject and they all seem to take a different directions
which confuses me even more on setting up a database on the internet to
access using a Applet. Books point to CGI,  javascripts,  parl and on and on
and I'm thing there has to be a easy way to do this. I'm willing to start
with a database with 3 fields and go from there....

Can someone in simple terms let me know how I can go about doing something
like this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks Everybody...

Want to setup a database on internet, need help/ideas

Post by Dele Taylo » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I see you having 2 choices:

 -finding a JDBC driver that can be downloaded with your
  applet, allowing it to connect directly to the db.

 -using servlets to proxy requests between the applet
  and the db.

--

Regards,
Dele Taylor

Want to setup a database on internet, need help/ideas

Post by Asif Ome » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

First settle on a database for which a JDBC driver is available.  You can
get to most databases though JDBC-ODBC bridge.  I have not worked with
jdbc-odbc drivers so I am unable to tell you where to get it from, but it
shouldnt be difficult to find.  Once you have tested your program in the
development environment, you will need to bundle the driver with the rest of
the applet for deployment.  Most development environements, such as
JBuilder, have good deployment wizards which also allow addition of
pre-compiled classes like JDBC drivers to jar files.  Once the application
and driver is put in a jar file you may deploy it.  Nothing special is
required.

Asif

1. Database ideas wanted...Thanks for help!

I thank you all who replied to me with help. Problem is solved and solution
is very clear to me now. Thank you.

Almost all solutions called for two tables. One with client info and other
with payment info. 2nd table would include the client ID and the date/week
marking the payment date. So which ever week/date is not in the 2nd table,
client did not pay for that....

regards,
--nasir

2. Co-op position available

3. HELP - Database Setup App Help NEEDED ???

4. best way to removes dupes?

5. -->Need Database Guru to Help Setup Massive Discographical Database

6. A few Questions on VFP 5.0a

7. Need paradox internet development ideas

8. schema.ini

9. Web database with cgi ODBC - ideas wanted?

10. Wanted: a non-saving relational database - any ideas?

11. I need to use database now, but I've no idea of database and programming

12. SQL Database Setup - Need 11/7 AM Help

13. Need help conecting to neworked databases via internet.