ODBC vs ADO/OLE DB

Post by sadhn » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
Looking for some help to differentiate between ADO Oledb connection to
Oracle database without ODBC and with ODBC layer. How do the two
connection strings differ? I understand in theory, you can have OLE DB
connection to database without going thru ODBC but what kind of a string
would that be? Don't we have to specify a DSN for that?
Thanks.

ODBC vs ADO/OLE DB

Post by Sloa » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password=mypassword;User ID=myusername;Data
Source=OracleServerName;Persist Security Info=True

set the persist to false if you don't want the password saved

..

i'll just say it, even though you know it.  using a native driver gets rid
of an ODBC layer, making it faster.

..

Quote:>Hi all,
>Looking for some help to differentiate between ADO Oledb connection to
>Oracle database without ODBC and with ODBC layer. How do the two
>connection strings differ? I understand in theory, you can have OLE DB
>connection to database without going thru ODBC but what kind of a string
>would that be? Don't we have to specify a DSN for that?
>Thanks.

ODBC vs ADO/OLE DB

Post by Michael D. Lon » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Depending on your implementation, the OLE DB Provider
for ODBC + ODBC driver often proves faster than the
native OLE DB provider against Oracle. This is despite
the extra layer.

Don't take my word for it. Run a few simple benchmarks.

--
Michael D. Long
http://extremedna.homestead.com

> Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password=mypassword;User ID=myusername;Data
> Source=OracleServerName;Persist Security Info=True

> set the persist to false if you don't want the password saved

> ..

> i'll just say it, even though you know it.  using a native driver gets rid
> of an ODBC layer, making it faster.

> ..

> >Hi all,
> >Looking for some help to differentiate between ADO Oledb connection to
> >Oracle database without ODBC and with ODBC layer. How do the two
> >connection strings differ? I understand in theory, you can have OLE DB
> >connection to database without going thru ODBC but what kind of a string
> >would that be? Don't we have to specify a DSN for that?
> >Thanks.

1. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

We have a relatively large VB 5.0 (Professional Editiion)  application which
primarily accesses tabular databases using DAO.

We wish to add a simple database explorer -- a bit of code that returns a
lists of servers and databases by driver.  It would mimic the network
neighbourhood app but for SQL databases.

The standard ODBC 2.0 call is SQLBROWSECONNECT. Can anyone confirm

1. whether this can this can only be achived using VB 5.0 (Enterprise
Edition) using ODBCDIRECT services?

2. whether  ADO or OLE/DB provide high level facilities for locating drivers
and returning a list of servers and databases?

3. whether I am correct in assuming that DAO and ODBC connectivity will be
superceded by ADO and OLE/DB?

4.whether  you will be able to write applications using VB which call OLE/DB
irectly - the current spec requires C++

5. whether there is a later version of ODBC that is more suitable for VB?

6. whether there is a third party database explorer library  suitable for VB
that does this task?

Finally the current SQLDRIVERS function will return a list of drivers if
they are installed on a local machine. If drivers are located on servers
rather than locally installed does the SQLDrivers function list (locate)
these drivers as well?

2. about finding the nth value using a QUERY - urgent

3. ODBC vs OLE DB (ADO)

4. Where can I find documentation on IDC/HTX

5. Database Crash - Question

6. ADO: SQL OLE DB vs. ODBC

7. convert MS SQL stored proc.s to Oracle 7.3?

8. OLE DB for SQL vs. OLE for ODBC

9. ADO/OLE DB vs Native vs RDO - Oracle

10. OLE DB vs ODBC for Oracle DB access

11. OLE Db Vs ADO

12. ADO 2.5 vs 2.6 with SQL OLE DB provider