Converting MS Access forms to VB forms

Post by HR So » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Questions about Visual Basic forms versus MS Access forms

We have developed an application in MS Access 2.0 with about
50 forms and 70+ tables.  Some of our users are complaining
now about performance.  They are using this product during meetings
and they want to be able to jump around from form to form very
quickly in a 5,000+ record database.

One solution we looked at was to load up a bunch of forms at
once, and then navigate around the database, leaving the forms
open.   The problem with this is Windows only allows 8-9 forms
to be opened at once, and then you get memory/resource utilization
problems and the damn thing croaks.

So we are wondering about replacing our MS Access forms with
a Visual Basic front end that would use our MS Access database
but (hopefully) present the data on the screen a lot faster.

Here's my questions:
1) Compared to MS Access forms, are Visual Basic forms faster to
load and/or faster to populate with data?  How much faster on a
large database?
2) Does Visual Basic use as much system resources as MS Access (and,
therefore, will I still be restricted to only opening 8-9 forms
at one time?)
3) What kind of effort can I expect for re-writing MS Access
forms in Visual Basic?  e.g. how many hours/days/weeks per form
to convert from Access to Visual Basic?
4) Are there any other hints or gotchas I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your help

Rich Haerr
HRSoft, Inc.

Converting MS Access forms to VB forms

Post by Dag Sun » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Questions about Visual Basic forms versus MS Access forms
>We have developed an application in MS Access 2.0 with about
>50 forms and 70+ tables.  Some of our users are complaining
>now about performance.  They are using this product during meetings
>and they want to be able to jump around from form to form very
>quickly in a 5,000+ record database.
>One solution we looked at was to load up a bunch of forms at
>once, and then navigate around the database, leaving the forms
>open.   The problem with this is Windows only allows 8-9 forms
>to be opened at once, and then you get memory/resource utilization
>problems and the damn thing croaks.
>So we are wondering about replacing our MS Access forms with
>a Visual Basic front end that would use our MS Access database
>but (hopefully) present the data on the screen a lot faster.

I've just finnished a very similar project, I converted a huge db from
access to vb, and I had to do it from scratch.

Quote:>Here's my questions:
>1) Compared to MS Access forms, are Visual Basic forms faster to
>load and/or faster to populate with data?  How much faster on a
>large database?

This depends (among other things) on how many different related tables
are shown on each form. The speed-increase varies from nothing to
tenfold.

Quote:>2) Does Visual Basic use as much system resources as MS Access (and,
>therefore, will I still be restricted to only opening 8-9 forms
>at one time?)

Simple!!  NO!

Quote:>3) What kind of effort can I expect for re-writing MS Access
>forms in Visual Basic?  e.g. how many hours/days/weeks per form
>to convert from Access to Visual Basic?

Say two days on each form only, and add a couple of weeks to add the
code that knits all of it together.

For calculating how long a project is going to take, here is a working
rule:

 - Make your best estimate.
 - Times that by Two.
 - Convert to the next higher unit.

Say 9 forms /2 days = 18 days
2 weeks coding = 14 days
(18 + 14) * 2 = 32 days

Convert to higher unit: 32 weeks.
i.e. 8 Months.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!! (Think about it!!)

Quote:>4) Are there any other hints or gotchas I should be concerned about?

If some of your data should be presented in a grid-like format, spend
some money on a third-party Grid-vbx called TrueGrid Pro. (Takes away
a LOT of grid-coding).

Quote:>Thanks in advance for your help

You're most welcome, if you run into any problems, feel free to mail
me.

Rich Haerr

Quote:>HRSoft, Inc.

Dag Sunde