Accessing Access 2.0 database with VB3, ODBC 2.0 and Microsotf Jet Engine Compatibility Layer

Accessing Access 2.0 database with VB3, ODBC 2.0 and Microsotf Jet Engine Compatibility Layer

Post by Gianfranco Sar » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

After I have installed the ms/Jet engine compatibility layer for the
visual basic 3.0 is not more successful to access data with the ODBC driver
interface .

I can still see my data base like access 2.0.
But when I try to access it like an ODBC data base
the sample program supplied by microsoft in
the c:\ vb\samples\ visdata returns a reserved error.

My data base is very simple.
It consists just in a table named as table1
where a text field is defined like unique key.

Post by Karl Costenbade » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> After I have installed the ms/Jet engine compatibility layer for the
> visual basic 3.0 is not more successful to access data with the ODBC driver
> interface .

> I can still see my data base like access 2.0.
> But when I try to access it like an ODBC data base
> the sample program supplied by microsoft in
> the c:\ vb\samples\ visdata returns a reserved error.

> My data base is very simple.
> It consists just in a table named as table1
> where a text field is defined like unique key.

There is no way get to ACCESS 2 from VB 3 using ODBC unless you
program directly to the ODBC API (you must bypass the Jet engine,
which is what is returning your error).

I believe I have read that MS has fixed this issue with Access 7.

Good luck.

--
Karl Costenbader, President
Competent Consulting

Home Page: http://www.competent.com

Post by Joe Garri » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I believe I have read that MS has fixed this issue with Access 7.

I'm not sure if its fixed or not, but what would be the point?
The Jet engine can access the .mdb files directly.

Joe

Never underestimate the power of a WAG.

http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick

1. VB3 - Access 2.0 Compat Layer compact problem

Greetings,
        I have a problem with the Access 2 compatibilty layer for VB3. I
have a number of databases out in the field which are using access 1.1
format, but I recently installed the compatibility layer so I now only
use access 2 version databases. (I know I'm slow to change, its just an
old 'wont use the latest version' habit !)

        Each of my database users has a utility to compact and repair
his database. It has been necessary to add a new facility to this
utility for an old customer who still has only access 1.1 files, but I
cant seem to stop the compact function from converting to v2 files, Ive
tried using the DB_VERSION10 option in the compactdatabase line but it
just seems to ignore it ,

eg.     CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", DB_VERSION10
also    CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", 1

Neither seems to work.

Thanks in advance for any help
--
Steve Lacy
JSL Systems

2. Help with DES Encryption

3. Accessing Access 2.0 databases with Jet 3.5

4. Outstanding References

5. Help: Problem reading Access 2.0 mdb from VB3 under Win95/Access 7.0

6. ADO Error 'Can't register msado20.tlb' HELP

7. HELP: ODBC with Access 2.0, VB3.0, and Data Control

8. About Stored Procedure

9. Help: Problem connecting VB3 app to Access 2.0 w/ODBC in Win-OS/2

10. VB3 using Access 2.0 db thru ODBC

11. Access 2.0 compat. layer

12. Install Access 2.0 Cmpt Layer w/o Access 2.0 for VB 3.0