Help : Delphi 2.01 and SQLAnywhere 5.0

Post by Simon Nichols » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> I am unable to get Delphi 2.01 to read the indexes (as field constraints or
>> table indexs) from SQLAnywhere 5.0.  Sybase has a technical article where
>> an individual simply noticed that the indexes generated an error when he
>> attempted to list them in the drop down of a TTable component.  This
>> article said that SQLAny50 works with Delphi 2.0 but not with Delphi 2.01
>> and that it is Borlands changes between versions that have left the product
>> unusable.

>I don't know about your particluar problem but Borland has modified the
>BDE a couple of times since D2.01.  D2.01 comes with version 3.11 of the
>BDE.  Intrabuilder as version 3.12 and Borland has just released BDE
>v3.5 on its own.  I think you can get the DLL for the new BDE of their
>web site but not the SQL Links. You have to buy those.

Unfortunately, whilst BDE 3.5 fixes a number of problems e.g. ability
to pass parameters in and out of stored procedures, it does not
entirely fix the "index out of range" problem. Borland claim they have
fixed it, but it simply isn't true. To help matters even more, this
release completely breaks the TTable object with SQL Anywhere
databases - you either get a "column not found" exception, or no
records are returned. If you aren't using the TTable component then
you might get some mileage from this release, otherwise I'd avoid it.

Simon Nicholson.

Post by Mike Destei » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >> I am unable to get Delphi 2.01 to read the indexes (as field constraints or
> >> table indexs) from SQLAnywhere 5.0.  Sybase has a technical article where
> >> an individual simply noticed that the indexes generated an error when he
> >> attempted to list them in the drop down of a TTable component.  This
> >> article said that SQLAny50 works with Delphi 2.0 but not with Delphi 2.01
> >> and that it is Borlands changes between versions that have left the product
> >> unusable.

> >I don't know about your particluar problem but Borland has modified the
> >BDE a couple of times since D2.01.  D2.01 comes with version 3.11 of the
> >BDE.  Intrabuilder as version 3.12 and Borland has just released BDE
> >v3.5 on its own.  I think you can get the DLL for the new BDE of their
> >web site but not the SQL Links. You have to buy those.

> Unfortunately, whilst BDE 3.5 fixes a number of problems e.g. ability
> to pass parameters in and out of stored procedures, it does not
> entirely fix the "index out of range" problem. Borland claim they have
> fixed it, but it simply isn't true. To help matters even more, this
> release completely breaks the TTable object with SQL Anywhere
> databases - you either get a "column not found" exception, or no
> records are returned. If you aren't using the TTable component then
> you might get some mileage from this release, otherwise I'd avoid it.

> Simon Nicholson.

Simon,

Borland has reported this problem to Sybase, please refer to Problem#
372138 with Sybase.

However, it is my understanding that Sybase has already released a
corrected driver.  Check with them for availability.

Good luck,

Mike Destein
Product Manager,
Borland Database Engine

Post by /\\/\\arshall \\/\\/att » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >> I am unable to get Delphi 2.01 to read the indexes (as field constraints or
> >> table indexs) from SQLAnywhere 5.0.  Sybase has a technical article where
> >> an individual simply noticed that the indexes generated an error when he
> >> attempted to list them in the drop down of a TTable component.  This
> >> article said that SQLAny50 works with Delphi 2.0 but not with Delphi 2.01
> >> and that it is Borlands changes between versions that have left the product
> >> unusable.

> >I don't know about your particluar problem but Borland has modified the
> >BDE a couple of times since D2.01.  D2.01 comes with version 3.11 of the
> >BDE.  Intrabuilder as version 3.12 and Borland has just released BDE
> >v3.5 on its own.  I think you can get the DLL for the new BDE of their
> >web site but not the SQL Links. You have to buy those.

> Unfortunately, whilst BDE 3.5 fixes a number of problems e.g. ability
> to pass parameters in and out of stored procedures, it does not
> entirely fix the "index out of range" problem. Borland claim they have
> fixed it, but it simply isn't true. To help matters even more, this
> release completely breaks the TTable object with SQL Anywhere
> databases - you either get a "column not found" exception, or no
> records are returned. If you aren't using the TTable component then
> you might get some mileage from this release, otherwise I'd avoid it.

> Simon Nicholson.

We use TTables with BDE 3.5 and 5.5 SQL Anywhere and everything works
fine.
You need a patch from SYBASE to fix the secondary index problems.

Marshall Watts

1. Help : Delphi 2.01 and SQLAnywhere 5.0

I am unable to get Delphi 2.01 to read the indexes (as field constraints or
table indexs) from SQLAnywhere 5.0.  Sybase has a technical article where
an individual simply noticed that the indexes generated an error when he
attempted to list them in the drop down of a TTable component.  This
article said that SQLAny50 works with Delphi 2.0 but not with Delphi 2.01
and that it is Borlands changes between versions that have left the product
unusable.

I require 2.01 and cannot use 2.0 for various technical reasons.  I MUST
use SQLAnywhere 5.0 because INTERBASE, MS SQLServer, ORACLE, and SYTEM 11
are all unusable products in the current environment.  This is due to the
application requiring NO dedicated server.  SQLAny50 will allow the Server
to run on any machine without dedication.  Win31, Win95 or WinNT.  The
other server products require a dedicated machine and that is not
acceptable in an open ended environment.  This allows the server component
of the application to be moved easily within a minute.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I have tried every possible BDE
and ODBC setting and tweak there is, but to no avail.  Does anyone know of
an upgrade or patch that corrects this?  Does anyone know of a powerful
non-dedicated SQL server product that can run on a PPro200 256mb RAM server
and a P166 32mb RAM notebook?

2. Help running a procedure on Oracle webserver from browser client

3. Problem w/SQLAnyhwere 5.0 and Delphi 2.01

4. Port 1433 connection not working

5. Delphi 2.01 slow compared to Delphi 1.0???

6. new sql server - ver 7.0

7. Delphi 2.01 x Delphi 2.0

8. Problem with tempdb transaction log

9. Help on creating a database application in Delphi 2.01 Developer

10. HELP: Table Is Read Only - After updating Delphi 2.01

11. help:Delphi C/S 2.01 + BDE 3.5 + SQL 6.5 can't modify datetime field

12. Help! Delphi 2.01 Problems

13. Delphi 1.0 to SqlAnywhere 5.0