VB3 - Access 2.0 Compat Layer compact problem

VB3 - Access 2.0 Compat Layer compact problem

Post by Steve Lac » Sun, 11 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,
        I have a problem with the Access 2 compatibilty layer for VB3. I
have a number of databases out in the field which are using access 1.1
format, but I recently installed the compatibility layer so I now only
use access 2 version databases. (I know I'm slow to change, its just an
old 'wont use the latest version' habit !)

        Each of my database users has a utility to compact and repair
his database. It has been necessary to add a new facility to this
utility for an old customer who still has only access 1.1 files, but I
cant seem to stop the compact function from converting to v2 files, Ive
tried using the DB_VERSION10 option in the compactdatabase line but it
just seems to ignore it ,

eg.     CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", DB_VERSION10
also    CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", 1

Neither seems to work.

Thanks in advance for any help
--
Steve Lacy
JSL Systems

Post by Geoff Whi » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>        I have a problem with the Access 2 compatibilty layer for VB3. I
>have a number of databases out in the field which are using access 1.1
>format, but I recently installed the compatibility layer so I now only
>use access 2 version databases.

 What seems to be the problem?

Quote:>        Each of my database users has a utility to compact and repair
>his database. It has been necessary to add a new facility to this
>utility for an old customer who still has only access 1.1 files, but I
>cant seem to stop the compact function from converting to v2 files, Ive
>tried using the DB_VERSION10 option in the compactdatabase line but it
>just seems to ignore it ,

 Why is it a problem for the user to be converted to the Access
 version 2.0 database format?  What problem happens after the DB is
 converted?

Quote:>eg.     CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", DB_VERSION10
>also    CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", 1
>Neither seems to work.

 Once the compatability layer is installed, I believe that the
 meaning of the DB_VERSION10 constant is changed--
 i.e. the new meaning is that "version10" now means 1.1.
 Look in the release notes that came with the compatability
 layer, I believe this is noted there.

 I would still want to know what kind of problem is caused
 by converting VB3 application users from the Access 1.1 to
 the Access 2.0 database format.  I think I may have a
 reason to need to do that!

Post by Steve Lac » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>        I have a problem with the Access 2 compatibilty layer for VB3. I
>>have a number of databases out in the field which are using access 1.1
>>format, but I recently installed the compatibility layer so I now only
>>use access 2 version databases.

> What seems to be the problem?

>> Icant seem to stop the compact function from converting to v2 files,
Ive
>>tried using the DB_VERSION10 option in the compactdatabase line but it
>>just seems to ignore it ,

> Why is it a problem for the user to be converted to the Access
> version 2.0 database format?  What problem happens after the DB is
> converted?

I cant convert the users database to version 2 because he uses access
1.1 to generated custom reports from the system that the customer
designs himself, and he doesnt see the need to buy access 2 !

Quote:

>>eg.     CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", DB_VERSION10
>>also    CompactDatabase oldbname , newdbname , "", 1

>>Neither seems to work.

> Once the compatability layer is installed, I believe that the
> meaning of the DB_VERSION10 constant is changed--
> i.e. the new meaning is that "version10" now means 1.1.
> Look in the release notes that came with the compatability
> layer, I believe this is noted there.

Yes the constant does change, but I am using 'db_version10' in the
options but am expecting it to give me a version 1.1 database but it
doesnt, it converts the database to v2
--
Steve Lacy

VB3 - Access 2.0 Compat Layer compact problem

Post by Geoff Whi » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

<snip>
>I cant convert the users database to version 2 because he uses access
>1.1 to generated custom reports from the system that the customer
>designs himself, and he doesnt see the need to buy access 2 !

<snip>
 Ah, I see now.
<snip>
Quote:>Yes the constant does change, but I am using 'db_version10' in the
>options but am expecting it to give me a version 1.1 database but it
>doesnt, it converts the database to v2

 <snip>

 Yes, I think have seen something similar with "CREATEDB,"--
 once the compatability layer is installed, you can no longer
 create version 1.1 databases, even when you specify
 DB_VERSION10.

 I wonder if you would have a way to avoid installing the
 compatability layer on this user's machine, or remove it if
 already installed.  Then maybe you could have a single
 version of the application to support both version 1.1 and
 2.0 databases.  Sorry I haven't been much help, but
 thank you for explaining the reason for the problem.

 If I had a user who had custom code and would not
 move forward from Access 1.1 in order to use new
 versions of my application, I would probably provide
 new releases to other users and let that one "stew" for
 a while-- tell 'em I do not have an easy way to do what
 they want, and ask again about upgrading from Access
 1.1.  I mean, how much is this gonna cost them-- less
 than $200 and maybe an hour or so to install?  I know
 this probably isn't the answer you are looking for-- so
 good luck getting to where you want to be.

Geoff White
Product Manager, Power Closer, Windows Real Estate Settlements
Argosy Legal Systems

1. Accessing Access 2.0 database with VB3, ODBC 2.0 and Microsotf Jet Engine Compatibility Layer

After I have installed the ms/Jet engine compatibility layer for the
visual basic 3.0 is not more successful to access data with the ODBC driver
interface .

I can still see my data base like access 2.0.
But when I try to access it like an ODBC data base
the sample program supplied by microsoft in
the c:\ vb\samples\ visdata returns a reserved error.

My data base is very simple.
It consists just in a table named as table1
where a text field is defined like unique key.

2. Need Help Reporting on Multiple ADO (Disconnected) Recordsets

3. Access 2.0 compat. layer

4. Oracle : Contract/Perm

5. VB3.0, Access 1.1, Compatibility Layer, Compact Statement

6. HELP with Poor Query Performance

7. changinf tabledef on access 2.0 database using vb3.0 pro and comp layer

8. Creating and using database links

9. Bug/limitation with VB3.0 / Access 2.0 compatability layer

10. Install Access 2.0 Cmpt Layer w/o Access 2.0 for VB 3.0

11. Can't Install 2.0 compatibility layer without Access 2.0

12. Help: Problem reading Access 2.0 mdb from VB3 under Win95/Access 7.0

13. Access 2.0 Compatability Layer Setup Problems