Runtime Error 3706

Post by Rob Jolliff » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've run into a brick wall with ADO on my system.  I'm trying to use ADO
where I used to use DAO mostly to see if I can send server-side compiled
queries to my SQL server.  The problem is I have a significant problem
with my installation of ADO I think.

I've downloaded MSDAC-SDK 2.1 and installed it.  Everything seems to be
alright.   The MS Jet provider is working fine.  When I try and enable
to ODBC provider it fails.  I also reinstalled my OS from scratch on
this machine ... no resolution.

Here's my code (VB6):

private sub form_load()

Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

cn.ConnectionString =
"Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=VISUAL;UID=SYSADM;PWD=SYSADM;DATABASE=CMSDEMO"
cn.CursorLocation = adUseServer
cn.Open

end sub

I get a Runtime error 3706 on the cn.open method.

My test machine is NT Server 4.0 SP 4
VB 6.0
MS DAC 2.1 (full SDK install)
ODBC is working fine.  I use the same connect string (less the provider)
with DAO no problem.

If anyone can help I would be forever grateful.

-Rob

Runtime Error 3706

Post by Priya Sing » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Rob,
I have an alternative solution to this problem . Why don'tyouuse ODBC Data
Sources . You can create an ODBC DSN connecting to SQL server . Don't give
Provider in the connection string . Here is the sample code which may help
you,

private sub form_load()

    Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
    Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

    cn.ConnectionString =
"DSN=VISUAL;UID=SYSADM;PWD=SYSADM;DATABASE=CMSDEMO"
    cn.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    cn.Open

end sub

May this be useful to you.

Priya.

>Hi,

>I've run into a brick wall with ADO on my system.  I'm trying to use ADO
>where I used to use DAO mostly to see if I can send server-side compiled
>queries to my SQL server.  The problem is I have a significant problem
>with my installation of ADO I think.

>I've downloaded MSDAC-SDK 2.1 and installed it.  Everything seems to be
>alright.   The MS Jet provider is working fine.  When I try and enable
>to ODBC provider it fails.  I also reinstalled my OS from scratch on
>this machine ... no resolution.

>Here's my code (VB6):

>private sub form_load()

>Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
>Set cmd = New ADODB.Command

>cn.ConnectionString =
>"Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=VISUAL;UID=SYSADM;PWD=SYSADM;DATABASE=CMSDEMO"
>cn.CursorLocation = adUseServer
>cn.Open

>end sub

>I get a Runtime error 3706 on the cn.open method.

>My test machine is NT Server 4.0 SP 4
>VB 6.0
>MS DAC 2.1 (full SDK install)
>ODBC is working fine.  I use the same connect string (less the provider)
>with DAO no problem.

>If anyone can help I would be forever grateful.

>-Rob

1. Runtime-Error 3706 in VB6 (ADO)

The English Text follows:

Hoi,
Ik heb een Ledenbestand gemaakt in Visual Basic 6. Het is een
Access-database. Op mijn computer loopt alles vlot, ook wanneer ik het omzet
naar een EXE-bestand.

Als ik dit op een andere computer zet dan krijg ik de volgende fout:
Runtime-Error 3706: ADO kan de opgegeven voorziening niet vinden

Ik veronderstel dat het over DLL-files en het register gaat.  Ik heb reeds
enkele DLL's overgergezet, zelfs de" msjetoledb40.dll", maar het helpt niet.
De provider wordt niet
gevonden.

Kan iemand mij helpen ?

Dank u,

Danny

Hi,
I 've made a database about members in Visual Basic 6.   It is an
Access-database.  On my computer it runs perfect, also when I make a EXE and
run from it.

If I put it on an other computer then it respons with the following error:
Runtime-Error 3706: ADO could not find the specified provider.

I suppose the fault handles about missing DLL-files and the register.  I 've
allready copied some DLL's, even the "msjetoledb40.dll", but it is't the
solution.

Who could help me ?

Thanks,

Danny

2. FileMaker to SQL Server

3. Runtime error 3706 provider not found

4. if then ?

5. RunTime Error 3706

6. upgrading to sql 2000...

7. Runtime Error 3706 Fix?

8. Record locking problem

9. Runtime error 3706. Provider not found. It may not be installed correctly

10. ADO 3706 runtime error

11. ADO Can't connect to specified provider - Runtime 3706

12. Provider cannot be found error (3706 Object error)