ODBC & MS-Access Limitations

Post by Duncan S. Smi » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Perhaps I'm missing something here.  Maybe someone could clarify the
position of ODBC and Access databases for me?  As I understand it:

ODBC is a great middleware service to simplify the creation and
management of cross-platform databases, etc.  VB is the uncontested
choice of IS pros who want to make front ends for databases.  VB Pro
ships with ODBC and Access includes its own ODBC stuff.  VP supports
the Access Jet engine.

However, it is not possible ( a la -2034 error) to connect to an
Access database via ODBC from VB 3.0?  If so, what good is the ODBC
support in VB for those who don't need the hassle of SQL Server?  Does
this mean that Access and VB together are useless in a network?

For example:  I'm using a 486/66 to run an application and wish to use
ODBC to connect to a database residing on our DEC AlphaStation 4/233
Alpha-based workstation.  Our SQL Server is for Intel only.  Is there
an Alpha version of SQL Server?  Or is there another way to get around
this artificial barrier of Microsoft?

ODBC & MS-Access Limitations

Post by ESS » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: However, it is not possible ( a la -2034 error) to connect to an
: Access database via ODBC from VB 3.0?  If so, what good is the ODBC
: support in VB for those who don't need the hassle of SQL Server?  Does
: this mean that Access and VB together are useless in a network?

: For example:  I'm using a 486/66 to run an application and wish to use
: ODBC to connect to a database residing on our DEC AlphaStation 4/233
: Alpha-based workstation.  Our SQL Server is for Intel only.  Is there
: an Alpha version of SQL Server?  Or is there another way to get around
: this artificial barrier of Microsoft?

I suspect Microsoft's response to this sort of issue would be to write
your VB app to use the JET engine to talk to an Access 2.0 DB, and then
use Access 2.0 to attach tables from any other ODBC data sources that are
required. I've never actually tried this - maybe someone can comment on
what the performance of, say VB->Jet->Access2->(attached SQL Server table)
is like.

Also, it IS possible to connect to Access 2.0 from VB 3.0 via ODBC. You have
to drop down to the ODBC API though (or create your own DLL which calls
the API). I've used this approach and it seems to work reasonably well, with
the advantage that I can use the DLL from both VB & VC++.

---

ODBC & MS-Access Limitations

Post by Ned Give » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have had this error also and have come to find out that I need the
ODBC Desktop Driver Kit which I assume is Microsoft's. This will allow
you to connect to Access via ODBC. As for SQL Server, we are running it
on a NEC MIPS machine. You need NT for your DEC machine. As long as NT
is on your machine SQL Server for NT will run on it.

Thanks,
Ned

Quote:

Post by ESS » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I have had this error also and have come to find out that I need the
: ODBC Desktop Driver Kit which I assume is Microsoft's. This will allow
: you to connect to Access via ODBC.

Not entirely correct. The ODBC Desktop Driver Kit contains updated ODBC
drivers - trying to connect to Access 2.0 from VB 3.0 via the ODBC driver
in this kit will still give you error -2034 (at least, if you're using the
VB OpenDatabase method - coding to the ODBC api works fine).

----

1. Any Limitations on MS Access and MS SQL Server

Hello,

I am now working on a project that have to make decision
on choosing Microsoft Access 97 / 2000 or Microsoft SQL
Server 7.0 as the database.  For more background
information, there is an application run on personal web
server and will connect to a database with using ODBC.

Therefore, I would like to know more about the pros and
cons of them in order to make a right or better choice.

Could anyone tell me about is there any limitation on
Microsoft 97 / 2000 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0?  Such as
the storage limitation, special characters handling.

Thanks and regards,

John

2. Clickstream - Commerce Server / Analysis Services???

3. connect to the MS Access database without using the ODBC driver for MS Access

4. Help - ADO to SQL Server7

5. MS-Access, SQL Server, ODBC & CreateTable

6. Remove duplicates. Please Help.

7. ms access & odbc, returning unique numbers

8. dbexport error

9. MS-Access ODBC & Editing DBGrid Items: Exception

10. ODBC types (PreparedStatement & MS Access 97)

11. MS-Access 2.0 ODBC & ## TRANSACTIONS ##

12. JDBC-ODBC & MS Access

13. Oracle & MS Access odbc problem