Can you help me learn programming ?

Post by Silvana Grandil » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I know nothing about computer programming but I am eager to learn.

Can any kind soul suggest to me any good, comprehensive book (but for
absolute beginners) to learn how to programme in Visual Basic 4.0 (to move
onto Windows 95 programming) and Visual C/C ++ that include CD-Roms for
online help and such?

Also, can anyone suggest to me a good, comprehensive Dictionary about
programming languages words, idioms, symbols and a good computer games
programming guide ?

Please, give help besides and beyond the "for dummies" series, I am
serious about this.
If you wanna help, go ahead and you're very welcome, otherwise, never mind.

Please, e-mail to

Thanks a lot,

Silvana

Post by Myakl » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(Silvana Grandillo) writes:
>Can any kind soul suggest to me any good, comprehensive book (but for
>absolute beginners) to learn how to programme in Visual Basic 4.0 (to
move
>onto Windows 95 programming) and Visual C/C ++ that include CD-Roms for
>online help and such?

>Also, can anyone suggest to me a good, comprehensive Dictionary about
>programming languages words, idioms, symbols and a good computer games
>programming guide ?

>Please, give help besides and beyond the "for dummies" series, I am
>serious about this.
>If you wanna help, go ahead and you're very welcome, otherwise, never

mind.

why not start with the books that come with VB and VC - they are on CD.
There are several "Programming Games with _____" books out there as well.
Keep i mind that on the path to learning game programming, you might need
to learn database, math algorithms, WIN API etc to get there

- Mike

Post by Jason Welt » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I know nothing about computer programming but I am eager to learn.

>Can any kind soul suggest to me any good, comprehensive book (but for
>absolute beginners) to learn how to programme in Visual Basic 4.0 (to move
>onto Windows 95 programming) and Visual C/C ++ that include CD-Roms for
>online help and such?

>Also, can anyone suggest to me a good, comprehensive Dictionary about
>programming languages words, idioms, symbols and a good computer games
>programming guide ?

>Please, give help besides and beyond the "for dummies" series, I am
>serious about this.
>If you wanna help, go ahead and you're very welcome, otherwise, never mind.

>Please, e-mail to

>Thanks a lot,

>Silvana

If your serious about programming in VB perhaps you should browse
this group!  Our time is just as valuable as yours...

A good book I think for VB3.0 is "Using VIsual Basic 3" by QUE
Press.  I know you asked for VB4.0 but I think it may be what
you need.

Addtionally, the "C++ Primer Plus" second edition from the Waite
Group Press is a good C++ tutorial.