can VB use MS Accss forms in the ADO?

Post by Mich » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 04:17:11

Hi, I created an ADO link to tables in my databases and I was wondering if
you can link to a form the same way you link to a table. I found that in
forms you can set default calculations as values whereas in databases you
can not. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks

can VB use MS Accss forms in the ADO?

Post by Norman Yua » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 06:40:30

Although Access can be used as back-end persistent data store, it is also a
database application with user interface componets (forms, reports)
built-in.

ADO is used for data access through Jet Engine. When data is stored in
Access's .mdb file, Jet Engine, which comes with Windows no matter whether
Access is installed or not, reads the .mdb file, send, or receive data. In
this processing, the .mdb file is not opened in Access (but is is opened by
Jet Engine). Forms and reports you designed in Access are database
application's user interfaces, ADO have nothing to do with them. You use
forms and reports inside Access usually. You can also use them from your VB
project because Access is also an ActiveX .exe server. You set reference to
Access Object Library in your VB project. You will be able to browe Access's
object model. Then you can lauch Access from your VB program, have Access
open specific form or report, you can even dynamically create forms ot
reports through your VB code. Of course, those forms or reports will run
inside Access and the computer running your program must have Access
installed.

Quote:

> Hi, I created an ADO link to tables in my databases and I was wondering if
> you can link to a form the same way you link to a table. I found that in
> forms you can set default calculations as values whereas in databases you
> can not. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks

1. Using ADO Recordsets with MS-Access Forms (ADO vs DAO)

Hello,

I have a situation where I have an Excel spreadsheet that contains a
list of records that I need to append to an Access Table (MS-Access
2000).  I also need to display some of those records and manipulate them
within my MS-Access 2000 application.

I figured the easiest thing would be to create an ADO Recordset that
contains the MS-Excel records and then use it in my application as a
Recordset.

The first thing that I wanted to do was to display the records in a
subform / datasheet for the user to preview before commiting to the
import.

I setup my sub-form and everything looked fine until I tried to assign
the ADO Recordset to the form as in:

Me.Recordset = rs (ADO Recordset)

It gave me an error message about different Recordsets or something.  I
have read here and there about problems with ADO and DAO but I don't
know too much about it.  I don't normally use MS-Access.  In the past I
have used either Delphi or VB and worked almost exclusively with MS-SQL
Server, lastely version 7.0 which uses ADO -- hence my working with ADO
so much.

I have never worked with DAO, only ADO before which as I understand it
is the newer technology and the way to go (although I have seen remarks
to the contrary).  I find it quite confusing (and certainly a little
fustrating) as it seems that nothing is constant.  I was under the
impression that Microsoft was making life easier by providing an overall
standard, but that doesn't seem to be the case??

Anyways -- my first question is: Can I import the Excel data into my
Access application using Recordsets? Either by using DAO to access Excel
or by using ADO Recordsets with forms?

Secondly -- can anyone give some pointers (or a pointer) to where I can
find more information about ADO vs DAO -- what one should use when, why,
and how?

I have already spent enough time in the past learning technologies that
quickly became extinct and although it is inevitable, I would like to
try and slow the process down somewhat!!

Thanks,

Hugh

2. encrypting a string

3. MS ACCSS wierd problem..

4. don@ait-inc.com

5. how to create MS Access database using VB ADO

6. Datatype Switch-a-Roo in SQL 7.0

7. Error when using AddNew method in ADO (using ADO 2.7 SP1 from VB 6 SP4)

8. msolap.asp

9. Dealing with MS SQL Datetime inside VB (using ADO)

10. Converting MS Access forms to VB forms

11. How To Open MS Foxpro Database Using MS VB

12. LAN Traffic issues between using VB Frontend/MS Access Backend vs Just MS Access