Using VB6 As A Front-End on A Linux DB

Post by Jeffrey Thomps » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I would like to use VB6 as a front-end GUI to a database on Linux. I
plan on using it to have a Linux web server support user applications.
I was thinking of using MySQL (http://www.mysql.net) as the database
and speaking to it via MyODBC via VB6.

Has anyone done this?  How does it work?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Thompson
Thompson Internet Communications
http://www.thompsonic.com/
==========
Here's an instruction I found (at http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3) on how
to do it:

One option that has proven successful is to use MySQL and its MyODBC
drivers on Windows and synchronizing the databases. Steve Lawrence
writes:

Install MySQL on your platform according to instructions with MySQL.
Latest available from www.mysql.org (get it from your mirror!). No
special configuration required except when you set up a database, and
configure the user account, you should put % in the host field, or the
host name of the windows computer you wish to access MySQL with. Make
a note of your server name, username, and password.

Download the MyODBC for windows driver from the MySQL site. Latest
release is myodbc-2_50_19-win95.zip (NT available too, as well as
source code). Install it on your windows machine. You can test the
operation with the utilities included with this program.

Create a user or system dsn in your ODBC administrator, located in the
control panel. Make up a dsn name, enter your hostname, user name,
password, port, etc for you MySQL database configured in step 1.

Install Access with a full install, this makes sure you get the proper
add-ins.. at the least you will need ODBC support and the linked table
manager.

Now the fun part! Create a new access database. In the table window
right click and select Link Tables, or under the file menu option,
select Get External Data and then Link Tables. When the file browser
box comes up, select files of type: ODBC. Select System dsn and the
name of your dsn created in step 3. Select the table to link, press
ok, and presto! you can now open the table and add/delete/edit data on
your MySQL server! You can also build queries, import/export tables to
MySQL, build forms and reports, etc.

Using VB6 As A Front-End on A Linux DB

Post by Derek Henderso » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Yes I have sucessfully used a VB front end to MySQL running on a linux
server. It all appears to work great. I use ADO using an ODBC driver I got
from the web .

Derek.

>I would like to use VB6 as a front-end GUI to a database on Linux. I
>plan on using it to have a Linux web server support user applications.
>I was thinking of using MySQL (http://www.mysql.net) as the database
>and speaking to it via MyODBC via VB6.

>Has anyone done this?  How does it work?

>Thanks,

>Jeffrey Thompson
>Thompson Internet Communications
>http://www.thompsonic.com/
>==========
>Here's an instruction I found (at http://www.php.net/FAQ.php3) on how
>to do it:

>One option that has proven successful is to use MySQL and its MyODBC
>drivers on Windows and synchronizing the databases. Steve Lawrence
>writes:

>Install MySQL on your platform according to instructions with MySQL.
>Latest available from www.mysql.org (get it from your mirror!). No
>special configuration required except when you set up a database, and
>configure the user account, you should put % in the host field, or the
>host name of the windows computer you wish to access MySQL with. Make
>a note of your server name, username, and password.

>Download the MyODBC for windows driver from the MySQL site. Latest
>release is myodbc-2_50_19-win95.zip (NT available too, as well as
>source code). Install it on your windows machine. You can test the
>operation with the utilities included with this program.

>Create a user or system dsn in your ODBC administrator, located in the
>control panel. Make up a dsn name, enter your hostname, user name,
>password, port, etc for you MySQL database configured in step 1.

>Install Access with a full install, this makes sure you get the proper
>add-ins.. at the least you will need ODBC support and the linked table
>manager.

>Now the fun part! Create a new access database. In the table window
>right click and select Link Tables, or under the file menu option,
>select Get External Data and then Link Tables. When the file browser
>box comes up, select files of type: ODBC. Select System dsn and the
>name of your dsn created in step 3. Select the table to link, press
>ok, and presto! you can now open the table and add/delete/edit data on
>your MySQL server! You can also build queries, import/export tables to
>MySQL, build forms and reports, etc.

1. Search an Access DB backend using a VB6 front end

Hi all

I could do with a serious answer for somthing I am doing for my uni project.
I am writing a small VB program that interacts with a Access database
backend.  I want to be able to search the database but I have got no idea
how to do it.  All i want to use is a text box to enter the search criteria
in and a command btn to activate the search.  The record can just be
displayed in the main form where you would enter the data.

Please can someone help me

Thanks
Andy

2. SQLServer 7.0 won't use available memory

3. VB6 (ADO) Front end to MS Access DB on Network Drive

4. Linking the Borland static lib

5. VB6.0 front end and SQL Server 7.0 back end

6. Does anyone know anything about graphs?

7. VB Front end dll loses connection to back end SQL server db after an hour

8. FileMaker Pro used as front end for updating Informix DB

9. Using Synonyms for Front-End/Back-End

10. using Access 97 front-end with a SQL2000 back-end

11. using Progress as back end and Visual Basic app as front end

12. VB6 front / Access 97 back end multiuser question