filesizes (mdb)

Post by Andy Mint » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

What is a sensible size to allow an mbd to grow to? I'm thinking of a
sales history database which could theoretically grow for ever. In
practice in this case about 5mb per year. I was thinking of stripping
out everything over 5 years old but is 25mb a sensible size?

Regards

Andy Minter

filesizes (mdb)

Post by Lee J. Wein » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>What is a sensible size to allow an mbd to grow to? I'm thinking of a
>sales history database which could theoretically grow for ever. In
>practice in this case about 5mb per year. I was thinking of stripping
>out everything over 5 years old but is 25mb a sensible size?

IMO, you're asking yourself the wrong question.  The real question is "How
long do historical records need to be online?".  If you, or your user, decides
that you need only 3 years worth of data accessible on-line then you start
archiving after 3 years.

In answer to your question, 25MB is small for a SQLServer or Oracle DB, but I
would consider it large for a multi-user ACCESS app

Lee Weiner
weiner AT fuse DOT net

filesizes (mdb)

Post by Andy Mint » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>>What is a sensible size to allow an mbd to grow to? I'm thinking of a
>>sales history database which could theoretically grow for ever. In
>>practice in this case about 5mb per year. I was thinking of stripping
>>out everything over 5 years old but is 25mb a sensible size?

>IMO, you're asking yourself the wrong question.  The real question is "How
>long do historical records need to be online?".  If you, or your user, decides
>that you need only 3 years worth of data accessible on-line then you start
>archiving after 3 years.

>In answer to your question, 25MB is small for a SQLServer or Oracle DB, but I
>would consider it large for a multi-user ACCESS app

>Lee Weiner
>weiner AT fuse DOT net

Thanks for the comments.

In fact the user has data going back to the early eighties. _I_ know
it is never used, _They_ know it is never used (and out of date &
irrelevant) but getting someone to admit it is another matter
altogether.

Regards

Andy Minter

filesizes (mdb)

Post by Hendrik De Vo » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I'am working with a 13 Mb Access (2.0) database on an common networkdrive
with +/- 10 users Each user has an "frontend interface" mdb of 4 MB. This
datafile is 13 Mb when it's just compacted in Access! The same file can grow
to a 30 Mb after intensif record manipulations!! -> Do a compact on regulare
base.
For the moment queries are slowing down, 10 Mb is a sensible size when using
Pentium PC's. 486 PC's : keep it on 5Mb...

gr,
Hendrik De Vos

Andy Minter heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:>What is a sensible size to allow an mbd to grow to? I'm thinking of a
>sales history database which could theoretically grow for ever. In
>practice in this case about 5mb per year. I was thinking of stripping
>out everything over 5 years old but is 25mb a sensible size?

>Regards

>Andy Minter

1. SQL Server Actual Filesize Limit

Hi, I have read that the database in sql 7 can grow to about 32Terabyte
tops. Am i under the right impression that the 32 Terabyte database will be
consists of multiple files with actual file size of 4G each?

Any help/comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jonel

2. PL / SQL Variable

3. maximum filesize

4. purging data

5. Filesize databasefile?

6. Interested in SQL Server 7?

7. Access filesize/concur user advice needed...

8. HOWTO: build an SQL statement to return the first 3 maxima ?

9. max filesize

10. Onload filesize limit

11. Alert on filesize

12. Reducing Database filesize ???