Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Vlasis Hatzistavro » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:45:06

Hello,

Is there a free pure Java JDBC driver to use with applets which connect
to a remote Database??? I've only found some trial versions so far.

Thank you,
--
Vlasis Hatzistavrou,
Systems Administrator,

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Peter Schull » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a free pure Java JDBC driver to use with applets which connect
>to a remote Database??? I've only found some trial versions so far.

Depends on which database you are talking about. There are open sources ones
for both PostgreSQL and mySQL - and I'm sure many others.

(Since they are pure Java they implement the database' protocol themselves
(rather than using ODBC like the JDBC-ODBC bridge for example), and hence
you need a driver written for you specific database.)

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Vlasis Hatzistavro » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thank you very much for your reply. What I'm trying to do is make an applet that
reads a remote MS Access database. We have DB2 also  installed, so, if I could
port the database in DB2 I could make the applet connect to DB2 insted. So, any
free java driver for these two will do. Do you know any??

Thanks again.
Vlasis Hatzsistavrou.

--
Vlasis Hatzistavrou,
Systems Administrator,
Library of Physics & Informatics,
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Nils O. Selasda » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

There aer lots of free JDBC drivers. But you dont say which database you
should be using...
one JDBC driver fo each DBMS system...

Quote:> Hello,

> Is there a free pure Java JDBC driver to use with applets which connect
> to a remote Database??? I've only found some trial versions so far.

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Vlasis Hatzistavro » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for replying. The syemts that I'm interested in is primarily MS Access
and as a second choice DB2. Do you know any one for these two?

Thanks,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.

> There aer lots of free JDBC drivers. But you dont say which database you
> should be using...
> one JDBC driver fo each DBMS system...

> > Hello,

> > Is there a free pure Java JDBC driver to use with applets which connect
> > to a remote Database??? I've only found some trial versions so far.

--
Vlasis Hatzistavrou,
Systems Administrator,
Library of Physics & Informatics,
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Nils O. Selasda » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Atleast with ms acces you can use the odbc bridge in the core api
the driver is sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver , you need to register the
database in your
datasources / odbc manager of your OS.

Post by Raffael Herzo » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks for replying. The syemts that I'm interested in is primarily
> MS Access and as a second choice DB2. Do you know any one for these
> two?

I don't know DB2, but with M$ Access you'll have mainly problems (at
least, I had mainly problems with M$ Access).

For remote connections I used RMI-JDBC
(http://www.objectweb.org/RmiJdbc/) and then the JDBC-ODBC-Bridge on
the server side. But this combination was awfully slow!

You'll have to consider anyway that M$ Access is not really multi-user
capable.

Quote:> [...]

--
Raffael Herzog

May the penguin be with you!

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Aidan O'Haga » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

IF I were you I'd go with mySQL.   I set it up from scratch on a PC in about
1 1/2 hours and that included setting up TOMCAT aswell.  I knew nothing
about mySQL, JDBC or servlets and was up and querying a dummy database from
servlets in no time.....

Cheers
Aidan

> > Thanks for replying. The syemts that I'm interested in is primarily
> > MS Access and as a second choice DB2. Do you know any one for these
> > two?

> I don't know DB2, but with M$ Access you'll have mainly problems (at
> least, I had mainly problems with M$ Access).

> For remote connections I used RMI-JDBC
> (http://www.objectweb.org/RmiJdbc/) and then the JDBC-ODBC-Bridge on
> the server side. But this combination was awfully slow!

> You'll have to consider anyway that M$ Access is not really multi-user
> capable.

> > [...]

> --
> Raffael Herzog

> May the penguin be with you!

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Reinhard Kaferboc » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I've read about RMIJdbc which allows you to become each registered
ODBC-driver a Type 3 JDBC-driver.
I haven't tried it out, but maybe it is helpful for you.
http://www.objectweb.org/RmiJdbc/Access/access.html

Reinhard

> Thank you very much for your reply. What I'm trying to do is make an
applet that
> reads a remote MS Access database. We have DB2 also  installed, so, if I
could
> port the database in DB2 I could make the applet connect to DB2 insted.
So, any
> free java driver for these two will do. Do you know any??

> Thanks again.
> Vlasis Hatzsistavrou.

> > >Is there a free pure Java JDBC driver to use with applets which connect
> > >to a remote Database??? I've only found some trial versions so far.

> > Depends on which database you are talking about. There are open sources
ones
> > for both PostgreSQL and mySQL - and I'm sure many others.

> > (Since they are pure Java they implement the database' protocol
themselves
> > (rather than using ODBC like the JDBC-ODBC bridge for example), and
hence
> > you need a driver written for you specific database.)

> > --
> > / Peter Schuller, InfiDyne Technologies HB

> --
> Vlasis Hatzistavrou,
> Systems Administrator,
> Library of Physics & Informatics,
> Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

Post by Frank Gerlac » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

-Database vendors (except Microsoft) normally have a jdbc driver for their
database on their website for free.
-www.merant.com sells them.
-SUN gives away a free jdbc-odbc bridge (partially solves the Microsoft
problem)
-If you are in the internet, do not use a two-tier architecture (applet
connecting DB), this is a huge security risk (see previous postings of mine
for details)

> Hello,

> Is there a free pure Java JDBC driver to use with applets which connect
> to a remote Database??? I've only found some trial versions so far.

> Thank you,
> --
> Vlasis Hatzistavrou,
> Systems Administrator,
> Library of Physics & Informatics,
> Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.

Free JDBC pure Java driver???

check the IBM website for a DB2 jdbc driver. Oracle gives them away for free.