opening and displaying two separate databases

Post by Winiecki, Donald » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 07:39:22

Good morning,

  Is it possible to open two separate files, of different source formats, and
combine them into one display?

This is what I want to do;

  Incorporate a secure (read only) Foxpro database file and another database
file into common browse/update forms.  The Foxpro database is periodically
updated by office #1 but needed by office #2.  Office #2 uses #1's data to
create their own unique data.  I want office #2 to have read/write access to
their own data but only read access to the data from office #1.

  It's very desireable to be able to display the necessary combination of data
#1 and data #2 on the same forms.  The format of database #1 must be Foxpro,
but that of database #2 can be anything (e.g.: office #1 doesn't use data from
office #2).

  Is this possible using VB3?

thanks in advance.

Don Winiecki
Texas Tech University
College of Education

Post by Reg Jackli » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 07:41:41

>  Good morning,

>    Is it possible to open two separate files, of different source formats, and
>  combine them into one display?

>[text deleted which suggests that  he means database files]

Hi Donald,

The simple answer is: yes.

If you don't have VB's Pro edition, you can do it with Data controls.  You can have as many data controls as you want
on a form, and each can point to a different database if you like.  The data control itself can be invisible.
Then you can put any number of label and/or text boxes on the form that point to specific fields within the database
that the data control is pointing to.

You can do some pretty neat stuff by putting SQL statements into the RecordSource property of the data control
and following it with a Refresh.

If you have the Pro edition of VB, you could also do more than one OpenDatabase and set up dynasets from it to
your heart's content.

I suspect that Crystal Reports, which comes with the Pro edition may be able to do what you want as well,
but I haven't had a chance to really study that one yet.

Hope this helps.

Reg Jacklin
Contract Programmer

opening and displaying two separate databases

please, pretty please...

Post by Winiecki, Donald » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 22:05:51

> >    Is it possible to open two separate files, of different source formats, and
> >  combine them into one display?

> >    [text deleted which suggests that  he means database files]

of course.

Quote:> The simple answer is: yes.

:)

Quote:> If you don't have VB's Pro edition, you can do it with Data controls.  You can have as many data controls as you want
> on a form, and each can point to a different database if you like.

        [ ... snip ... ]

Quote:> Hope this helps.

                          ~
aye, it does. Gracias Senior.

Quote:> Reg Jacklin

_don winiecki
Texas Tech University

Post by John Walp » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 07:58:52

>Subject: opening and displaying two separate databases

>Date: 23 Feb 1995 22:39:22 GMT
>Good morning,
>  Is it possible to open two separate files, of different source formats, and
>combine them into one display?
>This is what I want to do;
>  Incorporate a secure (read only) Foxpro database file and another database
>file into common browse/update forms.  The Foxpro database is periodically
>updated by office #1 but needed by office #2.  Office #2 uses #1's data to
>create their own unique data.  I want office #2 to have read/write access to
>their own data but only read access to the data from office #1.
>  It's very desireable to be able to display the necessary combination of data
>#1 and data #2 on the same forms.  The format of database #1 must be Foxpro,
>but that of database #2 can be anything (e.g.: office #1 doesn't use data from
>office #2).
>  Is this possible using VB3?
>thanks in advance.
>Don Winiecki
>Texas Tech University
>College of Education

YES!, but use dynasets.

John.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

President,
Raptor Systems
1813 Rugg Road
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5K2                           Tel: (604) 722-7041
CANADA!                                       Fax: (604) 756-6171

1. Joining two tables from two separate Access databases

I want to join two tables from two databases. In this case two Access
databases using the JDBC-ODBC bridge.

Does anyone know if it is possible??????? It must be possible.

Next question is how?????

The final result would be a ordinary table join as if the two tables were
being joined in the same database, however, they are not.

Any advice would be great.

Szermierz

2. Servlet Questions ????????????

3. Open Two Database with Two System.Mda and Two different User Names and Password

4. CDR and security

5. Joining tables from two separate oracle databases possible

6. Connecting FORMS to Personal ORACLE : "Problem ?! "

7. Synchronize two separate databases

8. dbase IV Files report generator

9. Database display on two forms

10. Retrieve data from two tables, from two databases, in two registered servers

11. Two workspaces with two mdbs open?

12. CORSORS (open two cursors on two similae joins)