How To: Inform users a task has completed on the server

How To: Inform users a task has completed on the server

Post by George Arnett-Hutt » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:27:25

Folks, it's me once again with the app from Hades I inherited.

VB6, SQLAnywhere, ADO 2.5 with disconnected recordsets and a global
connection.  It has a home-grown replication system that bogs down the
system when replication is in progress.  I can't do anything about it, since
their system provides a lot of history they need to keep and the
SQLAnywhere's replication ain't too hot.

What I have to do is inform the various users connected to the database when
a synchronization is in progress so they won't panic when the app starts
running a little more slowly.  Then, once the synchronization is complete, I
need to inform the users to refresh their data.  I had thought I'd keep a
synch status table that the app polled every few minutes, but that seems
kludgy and rather inelegant.  So I was wondering if there were a way to
raise an event on the server that would "come back" down on the connection,
or some better method.

Additionally, I can't pop-up message boxes as it would interfere with the
work the users are performing.  But I can change the appearance of a button
in a toolbar and put messages in the status bar, so that doesn't worry me.
But again, if you've got any better suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks,

George

1. Users having problems connecting to my SQL Server

Hello,

I am running SQL Server 7.0 SP4, running on an NT Server
4.0 machine, and my users connect to this database using
Access 2000.  Whenever a user opens up the database, they
keep getting the following error:

Connection failed:
SQL State: '28000'
SQL Server Error:  18452
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login
failed for user '[null]'
Reason:  Not associated with an associated SQL Server
connection.

Administrators can access the server using Access with no
problem, but regular users cannot.  I have the security on
the server to allow users to connect to the server using
Windows NT logon credentials.  I changed it to that from
allowing users to login using SQL and Windows NT
credentials, hoping that may fix my problem.  My users
only connect using their Windows NT credentials.  Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Searching a Sorted Array With Like Operator

3. max. number of users in Pick D3NT?

4. ADODC1 ConnectionString During run-time

5. MS Access 2K Inform User on Record changes

6. IBM Product White Paper

7. Blind user having problems with Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

8. How can I be informed of changes done by other users using jConnect

9. How can I inform all users that the system is shutting down in 10 Minutes

10. DTS Task not fully completed

11. FTP from CMDLine task - removes file when complete?