DBGrid master/detail relationship?

Post by Craig Spradlin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I was hoping someone would have some insight into the following:

1.) Can a DBGrid component display a master/detail relationship?  I was
hoping that I could go into the characteristics of each column and set up
the master/detail relationship.  When I right-click on the DBGrid and choose
Columns Editor, I get a _very_ simple pop-up box entitled Editing
DBGrid.Columns and all it allows me to do is add and delete columns, nothing
else -- this a far cry from the DBGrid Columns Editor which the
documentation refers to.  Am I doing something wrong?

2.) Is there any way to run a FindNearest/GotoNearest search on the text
being typed into a DBEdit component where the data to be searched is in the
DataSource of that DBEdit component?  If not, and I have to use Edit
components instead, how do I tie the .Text attribute of those Edit
components to the record being edited?

Thanks,
Craig

DBGrid master/detail relationship?

Post by Glatzfam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>1.) Can a DBGrid component display a master/detail relationship?  I was
>hoping that I could go into the characteristics of each column and set up
>the master/detail relationship.  When I right-click on the DBGrid and choose
>Columns Editor, I get a _very_ simple pop-up box entitled Editing
>DBGrid.Columns and all it allows me to do is add and delete columns, nothing
>else -- this a far cry from the DBGrid Columns Editor which the
>documentation refers to.  Am I doing something wrong?

Add all the columns to the editor then select one and hit the F11 key.  You
will then see more properties to play with.

Quote:>2.) Is there any way to run a FindNearest/GotoNearest search on the text
>being typed into a DBEdit component where the data to be searched is in the
>DataSource of that DBEdit component?  If not, and I have to use Edit
>components instead, how do I tie the .Text attribute of those Edit
>components to the record being edited?

I think it would be easier to do this with a regular edit component because
when you change the text in a DBEdit you are also changing the underlying
Tfield that is contained in your Dataset.  If you are so inclined (you want to
spend the money) the InfoPower components contain an IncrementalSearch
component that does with it's DBGrid what you want to do.

********************************
Michael Glatz

1. Different detail Index order within master-detail relationship

Hi,
    I have 2 tables linked in a Master-Detail relationship using the
Mastersource/Masterfield properties of one of the table.  Whenever I try to
change the indexname property of the detail table to another index, all the
corresponding detail records disappeared. eg. I want the detail customer
table to show me a list of all customer ids for a corresponding master shop
table. The joined field in this case would be shop id.  In addition I want
the customer-ids of the particular shop id to be displayed based upon
customer-id order (but I can't seem to get it).

Thanks for any help rendered in advance!

2. COLORADO-FINANCIALS

3. Master - Detail - Detail queries & DBGrids

4. pgsql/doc/src/sgml (charset.sgml compiler.sgml cvs.sgml datetime.sgml ecpg.sgml geqo.sgml gist.sgml history.sgml indexcost.sgml indices.sgml info.sgml jdbc.sgml keys.sgml libpgeasy.sgml lisp.sgml mvcc.sgml notation.sgml odbc.sgml problems.sgml

5. Selecting from Master/Detail w/ Detail as columns of Master

6. Line break in message when using xp_smtp_sendmail

7. why wont this master/detail relationship work?

8. Replication between SQL 7.0 and SQL 2000

9. Master / Detail Relationships with cached updates in Delphi 2.0

10. Generating item numbers in a Master/Detail relationship

11. master-detail relationship with dBase expression index

12. Master/detail relationship using CRecordset

13. Master/detail table relationship problems