Illegal Operation from JVM after Oracle connection

Illegal Operation from JVM after Oracle connection

Post by MaLaLigne » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am developing Java servlets that connect to an Oracle database.
My servlets work fine, I am able to pull the data without any problem.
However, exactly 60 seconds after the first connection, the JVM which is
my development server on my local machine throws an illegal operation.

There are no Java related error messages and it does not appear that
there are any security issues with the database that would be sending
unexpected messages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Malaligned (Malcolm)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Illegal Operation from JVM after Oracle connection

Post by Joseph Weinstei » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi. Are you using Oracle's thin (all-Java) driver? Do so. This will eliminate
the C code involved in their type-2 driver. Then, if the illegal-op still occurs,
it's a broken JVM. Java can't cause illegal ops...
Joe Weinstein at BEA

--

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is in S.F., and now has some entry-level positions for
people who want to work with Java and E-Commerce infrastructure products. Send

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture
               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm

Illegal Operation from JVM after Oracle connection

Post by Andy Wildenber » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi. Are you using Oracle's thin (all-Java) driver? Do so. This will eliminate
> the C code involved in their type-2 driver. Then, if the illegal-op still occurs,
> it's a broken JVM. Java can't cause illegal ops...
> Joe Weinstein at BEA

If you look at Javasoft's bugbase there's a crash (access exception, I believe) that
is caused by the oracle driver, and appears in various other drivers as well.  The
workaround was to be extremely careful to close your ResultSet, Statement and
Connections in the opposite order you opened them, especially if you're in a catch
block!

i.e.

Connection con = ...
Statement s = ...
ResultSet r = ...

r.close();
s.close();
con.close();

Illegal Operation from JVM after Oracle connection

Post by MaLaLigne » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

That did the trick!!! Thanks, MaLaLigned

Quote:

--

(The Infininth Monkey)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Illegal Operation from JVM after Oracle connection

I am developing Java servlets that connect to an Oracle database.
My servlets work fine, I am able to pull the data without any problem.
However, exactly 60 seconds after the first connection, the JVM which is
my development server on my local machine throws an illegal operation.

There are no Java related error messages and it does not appear that
there are any security issues with the database that would be sending
unexpected messages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Malaligned (Malcolm)

--

(The Infininth Monkey)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. formatting text as "bold" in formula?

3. RUNDLL32 performed illegal operation error

4. SP3

5. MMC Illegal Operation

6. Need help attaching access table in vb3

7. Help - Illegal Operation trying to DTS Access tables

8. Achieving First Normal Form

9. DTSWIZ Illegal Operation, Help needed

10. Replication causes Illegal Operation mmc

11. !!HELP!! ILLEGAL OPERATION CRASH

12. Win98 Illegal Operation Error

13. JDBC: Getting illegal operation error