MSDE and Web hosting services

Post by Kenbo » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:06:43

2 questions, really. I'm developing apps using VB6, .asp, and Access.

Question 1: Is it worth it to switch now to MSDE from Access?

Question 2: I don't see MSDE specifically mentioned at any of the web hosting sites. Do they support it at all? Or is it the same as
SQL Server as far as they are concerned?

Okay, maybe that was 3 questions...
--
kenbob
________________________________

MSDE and Web hosting services

Post by Dave Alge » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 18:24:07

 This is not so much an answer as adding my interest to your question.

 I am starting a project in which I was going to use VB6, JET and a little
ASP too. Then I read about the MSDE and was quickly swayed by the potential
of being able to move "seamlessly" over to SQL Server at some future date.

 My understanding is that MSDE is slightly inferior in terms of performance
to JET, but that it's okay if you don't expect more than a few concurrent
user and that of course if and when database access and size becomes a
problem there is the SQL Server option ready.

 My only concern was that working for a company that couldn't really afford
SQL Server we way to easily develop the database except in code, but since I
understand Access 2000 can create SQL Server/MSDE databases as "projects"
this doesn't seem the case.

 So I expect to be able to build up a database in Access 2000 and operate on
it using VB/ADO with no problems. I hope no one will tell me that I'm
dreaming.
I'll also be interested to know if you go with MSDE in the end kenbob.... or
perhaps more importantly if you don't!

 regards,
 Dave

Quote:> 2 questions, really. I'm developing apps using VB6, .asp, and Access.

> Question 1: Is it worth it to switch now to MSDE from Access?

> Question 2: I don't see MSDE specifically mentioned at any of the web

hosting sites. Do they support it at all? Or is it the same as
Quote:> SQL Server as far as they are concerned?

> Okay, maybe that was 3 questions...
> --
> kenbob
> ________________________________
> Some mornings it hardly seems worth
> the effort to gnaw through the straps...

MSDE and Web hosting services

Post by Dean Slinde » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:58:20

You are not dreaming.  It works fine for us.  Now, if only an MSDE expert would
chime in.
Dean Slindee

>  This is not so much an answer as adding my interest to your question.

>  I am starting a project in which I was going to use VB6, JET and a little
> ASP too. Then I read about the MSDE and was quickly swayed by the potential
> of being able to move "seamlessly" over to SQL Server at some future date.

>  My understanding is that MSDE is slightly inferior in terms of performance
> to JET, but that it's okay if you don't expect more than a few concurrent
> user and that of course if and when database access and size becomes a
> problem there is the SQL Server option ready.

>  My only concern was that working for a company that couldn't really afford
> SQL Server we way to easily develop the database except in code, but since I
> understand Access 2000 can create SQL Server/MSDE databases as "projects"
> this doesn't seem the case.

>  So I expect to be able to build up a database in Access 2000 and operate on
> it using VB/ADO with no problems. I hope no one will tell me that I'm
> dreaming.
> I'll also be interested to know if you go with MSDE in the end kenbob.... or
> perhaps more importantly if you don't!

>  regards,
>  Dave

> > 2 questions, really. I'm developing apps using VB6, .asp, and Access.

> > Question 1: Is it worth it to switch now to MSDE from Access?

> > Question 2: I don't see MSDE specifically mentioned at any of the web
> hosting sites. Do they support it at all? Or is it the same as
> > SQL Server as far as they are concerned?

> > Okay, maybe that was 3 questions...
> > --
> > kenbob
> > ________________________________
> > Some mornings it hardly seems worth
> > the effort to gnaw through the straps...

MSDE and Web hosting services

Post by Francisco Meji » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:56:00

Im not an expert on MSDE, but Im sure of something. Access does not behave
very well in a multiuser environment, this has been documented many times.
MSDE is the same SQL server engine without the administrative part.  So I
would probably think MSDE is much better that Access.

francisco
mere programmer