VB 6 Database and Access 2K Database Problem

VB 6 Database and Access 2K Database Problem

Post by James Mayhe » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 02:53:02

Hi,

  Recently,  I used VB 6.0 (SP5) to create a database. Upon saving this
database I was offered the choice of Access 2.0 or Access 7.0, I chose
the later.  I wanted to use Access 2K to quickly create some records for
one of the tables. When I tried to open the database in Access 2K, I was
offered the option of converting the database or loading the database
read-only.  Using Access Help I determined that Access 2K = Access 9.0.

  Are there any updates that would permit VB 6.0 to open and save
database in Access 9.0?

  Would VB 6.0 (SP5) work OK with Access 97?

  I'd appreciate any and all suggestion.

Thanks

jim

Post by Paul Clemen » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 22:12:59

Hi,

  Recently,  I used VB 6.0 (SP5) to create a database. Upon saving this
database I was offered the choice of Access 2.0 or Access 7.0, I chose
the later.  I wanted to use Access 2K to quickly create some records for
one of the tables. When I tried to open the database in Access 2K, I was
offered the option of converting the database or loading the database
read-only.  Using Access Help I determined that Access 2K = Access 9.0.

  Are there any updates that would permit VB 6.0 to open and save
database in Access 9.0?

  Would VB 6.0 (SP5) work OK with Access 97?

  I'd appreciate any and all suggestion.

If you are using the Visual Data Manager the you will need to modify the add-in:

HOWTO: Modify the Visual Data Manager (VISDATA) to Work with Access 2000 Databases
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252438

Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

VB 6 Database and Access 2K Database Problem

Post by Scot Rose [MSF » Sun, 09 Feb 2003 02:38:38

If you create an Access 2000 database from VB using DAO 3.6 or ADOX, then try to open teh database is Access 2000 you will get that prompt from Access. This
is because the database IS a Jet 4 database but it is not an Access 2000 database (Even though Access 2000 creates Jet 4 databases) This has to do with
certain System tables created by Access that neither DAO 3.6 or ADOX create so Access does not see them as Valid Access 2000 databases.

The main thing to remember however, it that the database IS a valid Jet 4.0 database You would just have to let Access convert it if you want to use it in Access
as well as from your VB application (DAO nor ADOX make use of those system tables)

Want to know more? Check out the MSDN Library at http://msdn.microsoft.com  or the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. Problem opening Access 2K database with VB6

I am having difficulty in opening a Access 2000 database using ADO and VB6,
the database was created on my PC.

I have upgraded VB6 to SP5 and have MS ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.6
Library.

If I covert the database to a prior version using the the utility under the
Access tools menu I can open the file with no problem.

Can someone explain why I can't open a 2000 database with VB6 and what I can
to to correct the problem.

TIA

Steve

2. 16107-FL-FORT LAUDERDALE-MRP-ORACLE-SAP-PeopleSoft-BAAN-ERP-Business Analyst

3. linking one access database to another access database through vb.net code

4. Text is trunctated and don't know why.

5. Problems opening Access 2k DB with VB 6.0 SP4

6. RMI over IIOP

7. err 30014 Sql 2k and Access 2k problems with triggers

8. VARCHAR impact on performance

9. Access Database concurrent users in VB 4.0 application and Database Security

10. Accessing field controls in access 2K vb

11. ACCESS 2k Access from VB

12. Database access w/VB Design Problem

13. VB 3.0 - Problem writing to Access database on second machine